Proving the convergence of a sequence

In summary: Since the odd terms are decreasing, we can say that:b_n≥b_∞=2.5Combining these inequalities, we get:a_n≥2.5≥b_n for all nThis shows that the sequence is bounded above by 2.5 and bounded below by 2.5, meaning that it is bounded.In summary, to prove that this sequence is convergent, we need to show that it is both monotonic and bounded. We can do this by splitting the sequence into even and odd subsequences and proving that each subsequence is monotonic and bounded. This shows
transgalactic
[tex]2 ,2+\frac{1}{2},2+\frac{1}{2+\frac{1}{2}}[/tex]
etc..
(the sequence consists only from positive number so the sum is not negative)
in order to prove that its convergent i need to prove monotonicity and boundedness

monotonicity:(by induction)

[tex]a_1=2[/tex]
[tex]a_2=2.5[/tex]
so i guess its increasing
suppose n=k is true:
[tex]a_{k-1}<a_k[/tex]
prove n=k+1 ([tex]a_{k}<a_{k+1}[/tex])
[tex]
a_k>a_{k-1}\\
[/tex]
[tex]
\frac{1}{a_k}<\frac{1}{a_{k-1}}\\
[/tex]
[tex]
2+\frac{1}{a_k}<2+\frac{1}{a_{k-1}}\\
[/tex]
[tex]
a_{k+1}<a_k
[/tex]

i proved the opposite :)
so this is weird.

the answer in the book tells me to split the sequence into odd /even sub sequences
the one is ascending and the other its descending.

i can't see how many sub sequences i need to split it to
maybe its 5 or 10
what is the general way of solving it.
and how you explained that i proved the opposite

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
.To prove monotonicity, you need to show that the sequence is either increasing or decreasing. In your attempt, you assumed that the sequence is increasing and tried to prove it, but you ended up proving that it is decreasing. This is not correct, as you cannot assume the property you are trying to prove.

To prove monotonicity, you can split the sequence into two subsequences, one consisting of all the even terms and the other consisting of all the odd terms. Let's call these subsequences a_n and b_n, respectively.

For the even terms (a_n):
a_1=2
a_2=2+\frac{1}{2}=2.5
a_3=2+\frac{1}{2+\frac{1}{2}}=2.6
a_4=2+\frac{1}{2+\frac{1}{2+\frac{1}{2}}}=2.625
a_5=2+\frac{1}{2+\frac{1}{2+\frac{1}{2+\frac{1}{2}}}}=2.629

We can see that the even terms are increasing, as each term is greater than the previous one. This can be proved by induction as you attempted in your answer.

For the odd terms (b_n):
b_1=2+\frac{1}{2}=2.5
b_2=2+\frac{1}{2+\frac{1}{2}}=2.6
b_3=2+\frac{1}{2+\frac{1}{2+\frac{1}{2}}}=2.625
b_4=2+\frac{1}{2+\frac{1}{2+\frac{1}{2+\frac{1}{2}}}}=2.629

We can see that the odd terms are decreasing, as each term is less than the previous one. This can also be proved by induction.

Since both subsequences are monotonic (one increasing and one decreasing), the original sequence must also be monotonic. This shows that the sequence is bounded.

To show that the sequence is bounded, we can use the fact that the even terms are increasing and the odd terms are decreasing. This means that the even terms are always greater than or equal to the odd terms. So, we can say that:

a_n≥b_n for all n

Since the even terms

1. What is the definition of a convergent sequence?

A convergent sequence is a sequence of numbers that approaches a single limit as the number of terms increases. In other words, as the sequence continues, the terms get closer and closer to a specific value, which is known as the limit of the sequence.

2. How can you prove the convergence of a sequence?

To prove the convergence of a sequence, you can use different methods such as the limit comparison test, the ratio test, or the root test. These methods involve analyzing the behavior of the sequence as the number of terms increases and determining if the terms approach a finite limit.

3. What is the importance of proving the convergence of a sequence?

Proving the convergence of a sequence is crucial in mathematics as it allows us to determine the behavior of the sequence as the number of terms increases. It also helps us understand the limit of the sequence, which has various applications in fields like calculus, statistics, and computer science.

4. Can a sequence converge to more than one limit?

No, a sequence can only converge to one limit. If a sequence has more than one limit, it is considered divergent.

5. Is there a shortcut to proving the convergence of a sequence?

Unfortunately, there is no shortcut to proving the convergence of a sequence. It requires careful analysis and application of different convergence tests to determine if the sequence approaches a finite limit. However, with practice and understanding of the concepts, the process can become more efficient and quicker.