Proving this trigonometric identity

In summary, the conversation is about proving the identity (1 + cos \theta)^2 + sin^2\theta = 2(1 + cos \theta). The attempt at a solution involves squaring out the first bracket and multiplying out the second bracket, but the final equation does not match the given identity due to a mistake in algebra. The mistake is identified as forgetting the rule that (a + b)^2 = a^2 + 2ab + b^2.
Couperin

Homework Statement

Prove the following identity: [tex](1 + cos \theta)^2 + sin^2\theta = 2(1 + cos \theta)[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]cos^2 \theta + sin^2 \theta = 1[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I've squared out the first bracket so that it becomes [tex]1 + cos^2 \theta[/tex] and multiplied out the second bracket so that it becomes [tex]2 + 2cos \theta[/tex]. With some rearrangement I get [tex]cos^2 \theta + sin^2 \theta = 1 + 2cos \theta[/tex]

I can't get rid of the 2cos, and I think it's because I'm doing something wrong when squaring out that first bracket. But I can't see what it is that I'm doing wrong, only that [tex]1 + cos^2 \theta[/tex] doesn't = [tex](1 + cos \theta)^2[/tex].

What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex](1+\cos\theta)^2=1+2\cos\theta+\cos^2\theta[/itex]

Ahh thank you! Looks like I forgot a very simple rule of algebra. I hate it when that happens XD.

1. How do I prove a trigonometric identity?

In order to prove a trigonometric identity, you need to use algebraic manipulation and the trigonometric identities that you have learned. You will also need to use your knowledge of the unit circle and the properties of the six basic trigonometric functions.

2. What are some strategies for proving trigonometric identities?

Some common strategies for proving trigonometric identities include using the Pythagorean identities, converting all trigonometric functions to sine and cosine, and simplifying both sides of the equation to see if they are equivalent.

3. How do I know if a trigonometric identity is true?

If you are able to manipulate one side of the equation to match the other side using algebraic and trigonometric identities, then the identity is true. Additionally, you can use a graphing calculator to visually check if the two sides of the equation are equal.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when proving trigonometric identities?

Some common mistakes to avoid when proving trigonometric identities include forgetting to use the proper sign for each trigonometric function, making algebraic errors, and using incorrect identities.

5. How can I practice proving trigonometric identities?

You can practice proving trigonometric identities by working through practice problems, using online resources, and solving past exams or quizzes. It is also helpful to understand the properties of the trigonometric functions and to memorize common identities.