Pulley and weights hanging from spring balance

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a system of masses and a pulley. The net force acting downwards on the system is 4g, while the net force on the pulley is 2T-4g. The question asks about the weight measured by a balance and the possibility of different measurements when the bodies are released and when accelerating. The conversation also discusses the concept of neutral equilibrium and the importance of using a free body diagram for accurate calculations. The conversation concludes with a discussion on the use of kg as a unit of force and the calculation of the spring-balance reading.
rudransh verma
Gold Member
Homework Statement
In the fig, a smooth pulley of negligible weight is suspended by a spring balance. Weights of 1kg and 5kg are attached to the opposite ends of a string passing over the pulley and move with acceleration because of gravity. During their motion the spring balance read a weight of ?
Relevant Equations
##F=ma##
Net force acting downwards is ##5g-g=4g## in downward direction. Net force on pulley is ##2T-4g##. Weight measured by balance?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 186
Physics news on Phys.org
What do you think?
Same measurement when bodies are released and when accelerating?
I believe that is what the question is about.

The problem is treating kg as unit of force, when it is a unit of mass.
The spring scale can only measure force; therefore, its markings should be kg-force.

https://courses.lumenlearning.com/physics/chapter/9-3-stability/

Your calculations without a free body diagram seem not to be accurate.
The best you can, please draw a FBD for the system of spring scale/masses, not including internal forces (especially T).

Last edited:
rudransh verma said:
Net force acting downwards is ##5g-g=4g## in downward direction. Net force on pulley is ##2T-4g##. Weight measured by balance?
The only thing pulling down on the pulley is the string. The weights of the masses act on the masses, not on the pulley.

Likes vcsharp2003 and Steve4Physics
Lnewqban said:
"Figure 7. (a) here we see neutral equilibrium. The cg of a sphere on a flat surface lies directly above the point of support, independent of the position on the surface. The sphere is therefore in equilibrium in any location, and if displaced, it will remain put. (b) Because it has a circular cross section, the pencil is in neutral equilibrium for displacements perpendicular to its length."

I don't know why you put this link here but I was stuck on neutral equilibrium. The sphere is always in neutral equilibrium since in whatever position we place the sphere there is no top and bottom of the sphere. It can never fall. Right?

Lnewqban said:
Your calculations without a free body diagram seem not to be accurate.
The best you can, please draw a FBD for the system of spring scale/masses, not including internal forces (especially T).
I cannot make a very good FBD. I think the balance will measure less weight than 6 kg, either 5kg or 4kg because the net force on 1kg mass is upwards due to which balance may not measure full 1kg weight. So it will surely be less than 6kg. But I can’t prove it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 91
Don't "do it in your head" or guess. You have free body diagrams for the masses, now add one for the pulley.

Analyzing forces on the masses will allow you to solve for the acceleration and the tension.

rudransh verma said:
"Figure 7. (a) here we see neutral equilibrium. The cg of a sphere on a flat surface lies directly above the point of support, independent of the position on the surface. The sphere is therefore in equilibrium in any location, and if displaced, it will remain put. (b) Because it has a circular cross section, the pencil is in neutral equilibrium for displacements perpendicular to its length."

I don't know why you put this link here but I was stuck on neutral equilibrium. The sphere is always in neutral equilibrium since in whatever position we place the sphere there is no top and bottom of the sphere. It can never fall. Right?
If the center of mass of the body or system of bodies has freedom to occupy a lower position closer to ground (using its potential energy to move), it will.
For the sphere rolling on a flat surface is impossible.
For the system of bodies of this problem, it is possible.

Likes rudransh verma
Calculating the spring-balance reading will be a valuable exercise for the OP and I would encourage this.

But it is worth noting that choosing from the list of possible answers requires no calculations (other than 1+5=6).

First realize that the centre of gravity of the pulley+masses accelerates downwards. Finding the allowed range of the upward force (from the spring) is then simple.

On a different point, the spring could be changing length, e.g. if oscillations occur. But (arguably) the wording of the original question precludes this.

Likes Lnewqban
Doc Al said:
Don't "do it in your head" or guess. You have free body diagrams for the masses, now add one for the pulley.

Analyzing forces on the masses will allow you to solve for the acceleration and the tension.
Lnewqban said:
The problem is treating kg as unit of force, when it is a unit of mass.
The spring scale can only measure force; therefore, its markings should be kg-force.
The question asks about the weight and gives options in kg. I think it is asking the kg force
When I calculated and taking g=10 I got a=6.67 m/s^2. So if we treat the bodies as one 6kg and the acceleration as a=6.67 m/s^2 then the force acting downwards and on the balance is F=40.02 N. That's what the balance measures. Balance measures 4 kg.

Likes Lnewqban

1. How does a pulley affect the reading on a spring balance?

A pulley changes the direction of the force being applied to the spring balance, but it does not affect the reading. The reading on the spring balance will still be the same as the weight of the object being measured.

2. Can a pulley and weights hanging from a spring balance be used to measure mass or weight?

Yes, a spring balance can be used to measure both mass and weight. The reading on the spring balance will be in units of force, such as Newtons, but this can be converted to either mass or weight depending on the acceleration due to gravity.

3. How does the number of weights affect the reading on a spring balance?

The number of weights hanging from a spring balance will affect the reading by increasing the force being applied to the spring. Each weight adds a certain amount of force, and this is reflected in the reading on the spring balance.

4. What is the relationship between the weight of an object and the reading on a spring balance?

The reading on a spring balance is directly proportional to the weight of an object. This means that as the weight of an object increases, the reading on the spring balance will also increase.

5. Can a spring balance be used to measure the force of an object?

Yes, a spring balance can be used to measure the force of an object. The reading on a spring balance is a measure of the force being applied to it, so it can be used to determine the force of an object pulling or hanging from it.