What is the acceleration of the connected blocks on a rough table with friction?

In summary, the table has a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.420, the masses of the objects are 4.00 kg, 1.00 kg, and 2.00 kg, and the pulleys are frictionless. The objects move in the direction of the arrow shown.
hm8

Homework Statement

Three blocks are connected on the table as shown below. The table is rough and has a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.420. The objects have masses of 4.00 kg, 1.00 kg and 2.00 kg, as shown, and the pulleys are frictionless.

p5-50.gif

Determine the acceleration of each object and their directions.

Homework Equations

F=ma
Ffriction=mu*normal force

The Attempt at a Solution

I made positive in the direction i think everything is moving...counterclockwise.

Fsystem = msystem*a
m1g-Ffriction-m2g = (m1+m2+m3)a
m_1g-(mu*m2g)-m2g = (m1+m2+m3)a

a = (m1g-(mu*m2g)-m2g)/(m1+m2+m3)

I plugged everything in and got 2.74 m/s^2.

I think it's okay that I ignored tension and made everything one system...although maybe I'm wrong about that.

It also could be that I got the answer right, and my teacher entered the wrong answer for our online homework thing so it's telling me I got it wrong...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello hm8,

Welcome to Physics Forums!
hm8 said:
I made positive in the direction i think everything is moving...counterclockwise.

Fsystem = msystem*a
m1g-Ffriction-m2g = (m1+m2+m3)a
m_1g-(mu*m2g)-m2g = (m1+m2+m3)a

a = (m1g-(mu*m2g)-m2g)/(m1+m2+m3)
Check the above subscripts. Besides the indirect frictional part, the force of gravity on the middle block isn't contributing to the acceleration of the system. But what about block 3?

collinsmark said:
Hello hm8,

Welcome to Physics Forums!

Check the above subscripts. Besides the indirect frictional part, the force of gravity on the middle block isn't contributing to the acceleration of the system. But what about block 3?
That was a typo, sorry...using the 2kg block (block 3) gives me the answer 2.74 m/s^2.

My teacher also looked at my work today and said it looked okay, so I think it may just be a problem with how he programmed the answer into the online homework. Unless you see anything else wrong with it?

hm8 said:
That was a typo, sorry...using the 2kg block (block 3) gives me the answer 2.74 m/s^2.
Okay then, your
...a = (m1g - μm2g - m3g)/(m1+m2+m3)
equation looks correct to me.

So the equation seems right to me, but something else does not (according to my calculations). See below.
My teacher also looked at my work today and said it looked okay, so I think it may just be a problem with how he programmed the answer into the online homework. Unless you see anything else wrong with it?
Try plugging the numbers back into your equation. I get something different than 2.74 m/s2.

Last edited:
Ahh...for some reason I was forgetting to multiply by g for the friction of block to...I was just doing μ*m

The new answer (2.212 m/s^2) works! Thanks!

1. What is a pulley problem with friction?

A pulley problem with friction is a physics problem that involves using pulleys and taking into account the effects of friction. It typically involves calculating the forces, tensions, and motion of objects connected by a system of ropes and pulleys.

2. How do you solve a pulley problem with friction?

To solve a pulley problem with friction, you need to first identify all the forces acting on the system, including the weight of the objects, the tensions in the ropes, and the force of friction. Then, you can use Newton's laws of motion and equations for calculating forces and motion to solve for the unknown variables.

3. What are some common types of pulley problems with friction?

Some common types of pulley problems with friction include problems with a single pulley, multiple pulleys, and problems involving a combination of pulleys and inclined planes. These problems can vary in complexity and may involve different types of friction, such as static or kinetic friction.

4. How does friction affect the motion of objects in a pulley system?

Friction can have a significant impact on the motion of objects in a pulley system. It can cause a decrease in the speed of the objects and can also affect the tension in the ropes. In some cases, friction may even cause the objects to come to a stop if the force of friction is greater than the applied force.

5. What are some strategies for dealing with friction in pulley problems?

One strategy for dealing with friction in pulley problems is to use the concept of work and energy to calculate the work done by friction and its impact on the system. Another strategy is to use the equations for calculating frictional forces and incorporate them into the overall equations for forces and motion in the system.