1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pulley problem with frictionless ropes

1. Nov 12, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In the diagram, the pulley is frictionless and the ropes are massless. You are given that m1 = 10.0 kg and m2 = 29.5 kg.

Calculate the acceleration of m2 downwards.

What is the magnitude of the tension in the string?

2. Relevant equations

sum of F= M*A

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried doing a free body diagram and solving for A but I still can't find the tension...

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2011 #2
    You should post a picture of the pulley layout to make the problem clear.

4. Nov 12, 2011 #3
    QLacL.png

5. Nov 12, 2011 #4
    OK, you have written Newton's Law. Draw a free body diagram of each weight calling the tension in the rope T. You should have two equations. Let's see them.

6. Nov 12, 2011 #5
    m2:

force of tension going up
    force of gravity going down

t1-w=ma

m1: same thing ...
    t1-w=ma

7. Nov 12, 2011 #6
    Let's use some subscripts because the masses/weights are different:

T - w1 = m1 * a

T - w2 = m2 * a

Looking at what you've written, you'll need to define what w1 and w2 are. Also, you have a single variable for acceleration. But the accelerations are in opposite directions so what must be done?

8. Nov 12, 2011 #7
    So I have w1 and w2 and I have m1 and m2. Whats missing is T and A. Can I just solve for A or T ?

9. Nov 12, 2011 #8
    Yes you can but if you do you'll get an incorrect result. You have an error in one of your equations. Acceleration, like 'g', has a direction associated with it.

10. Nov 12, 2011 #9
    Signing off for today.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook