Pulley question / rotational kinematics

In summary: Good work.In summary, the conversation involves using energy methods to calculate the speed of block B as it descends a certain distance. The equation used is based on conservation of energy, with the addition of frictional work. The final answer requires the inclusion of all relevant variables, including the mass of block B, the coefficient of kinetic friction, and the distance descended.
alco19357

Homework Statement

attachment.php?attachmentid=38716&stc=1&d=1315677877.jpg

Summary:
The pulley in the figure has radius (R) and a moment of inertia (I). The rope does not slip over the pulley, and the pulley spins on a frictionless axle. The coefficient of kinetic friction between block A and the tabletop is [itex]\mu[/itex]k. The system is released from rest, and block B descends. Block A has mass (ma) and block B has mass (mb).

Question:
Use energy methods to calculate the speed of block B as a function of the distance (d) that it has descended.
Express your answer in terms of the variables ma, mb, R, I, [itex]\mu[/itex]k, d and appropriate constants

Homework Equations

Conservation of Energy:

PEi + KEi = PEf + KEf + frictional work

The Attempt at a Solution

(magd) + (mbgd) = maVa2/2 + mbVb2/2 + I[itex]\omega[/itex]2/2 + [itex]\mu[/itex]kmg

0 + (mbgd) = 0 + mbVb2/2 + I[itex]\omega[/itex]2/2 + [itex]\mu[/itex]kmg

Is this right?

Attachments

• YF-09-35.jpg
    YF-09-35.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 3,780
Physics news on Phys.org
alco19357 said:
0 + (mbgd) = 0 + mbVb2/2 + I[itex]\omega[/itex]2/2 + [itex]\mu[/itex]kmg

Is this right?
Two questions
1. Why is this zero?
2. Which mass is this?

1. I don't know. I thought maybe that the velocity of a is non existent, but wouldn't the velocity of a equal the velocity of b?

2. I would say since the frictional work done is between the surface and object a, that mass should be the mass of block a.

Thank you for your help

alco19357 said:
1. I don't know. I thought maybe that the velocity of a is non existent, but wouldn't the velocity of a equal the velocity of b?
If the velocity of a were zero and the velocity of b were not, the distance between the two blocks would increase in which case the rope connecting them would stretch. This is not what happens. If the rope is not to stretch (or shrink), the two blocks must always have the same instantaneous velocity and acceleration.

alco19357 said:
2. I would say since the frictional work done is between the surface and object a, that mass should be the mass of block a.
Correct. Now put it together.

Thank you for the help. I applied what you said and got the following answer:

attachment.php?attachmentid=38739&stc=1&d=1315749141.png

What have I done wrong?

Thanks

Attachments

• wronganswer.png
    wronganswer.png
    3.8 KB · Views: 3,760
Look at your numerator under the radical. You are adding two terms that are dimensionally inconsistent. What are the dimensions of each term?

I think what you're saying is that I have:

[(m^3) / (s^2)] - [(m^2) / (s^2)]

So am I missing the d variable? So should it be:
(m_B * g * d) - (u_k * m_A * g * d)

Yes, that's what the numerator under the radical ought to be.

Thank you so much! :smile:

That's the right answer!

1. How do pulleys affect rotational motion?

Pulleys are used to redirect the direction of a force. In the context of rotational motion, pulleys can change the direction of the rotational force, allowing an object to rotate in a different direction. This can also affect the speed and torque of the rotation, depending on the number and arrangement of pulleys.

2. What is the relationship between the number of pulleys and the mechanical advantage?

The mechanical advantage of a pulley system is equal to the number of ropes or cables supporting the load. This means that the more pulleys used, the greater the mechanical advantage and the easier it is to lift heavy objects.

3. Can pulleys help to conserve energy in rotational motion?

Yes, pulleys can help to conserve energy in rotational motion. By using multiple pulleys, the force required to lift an object can be spread out over a larger distance, reducing the total energy needed. Additionally, the use of pulleys can also reduce friction and increase efficiency.

4. How does the diameter of a pulley affect rotational motion?

The diameter of a pulley can affect rotational motion in several ways. A larger diameter pulley can increase the mechanical advantage, making it easier to lift heavy objects. However, a smaller diameter pulley can increase the speed of rotation, allowing for faster movement of objects. Additionally, the diameter can also affect the tension and distribution of force in the pulley system.

5. What is the difference between fixed and movable pulleys?

Fixed pulleys are attached to a stationary object, while movable pulleys are able to move along with the object being lifted. Fixed pulleys change the direction of the force, while movable pulleys can also change the direction of the motion. Additionally, movable pulleys can increase the mechanical advantage of a pulley system.