Pulleys, torque and tension

In summary, a 1.2 kg mass and a 7.1 kg mass are connected by a massless string over a pulley that is in the shape of a bicycle wheel (all mass is concentrated at the rim) having a radius of 0.25 m and mass of 4.6 kg. The time for the masses to move 2.6 m starting from rest is 1.077 seconds. The equations used were T1 - m1g = -m1a, T2 - m2g = m2a, and T1R - T2R = I(alpha), with the moment of inertia being calculated as I = mR^2. The final answer was confirmed using the
PhrozenN
A 1.2 kg mass and a 7.1 kg mass are connected by a massless string over a pulley that is in the shape of a bicycle wheel (all mass is concentrated at the rim) having a radius 0.25 m and mass 4.6 kg. Determine the time for the masses to move 2.6 m starting from rest.

A.
2.714 sec
B.
0.223 sec
C.
1.55 sec
D.
1.68 sec
E.
1.077 sec

T1 = 7.1kg, T2 = 1.2kg

T1 - m1g = -m1a
T2 - m2g = m2a
T1R - T2R = I(alpha)

a=R(alpha)

I was just wondering if I set these equations properly. I substituted and got an answer similar to E except its off a little even though I didn't round. Thanks in adv!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi PhrozenN, welcome to PF.
Unless you show your calculations we are not in a position to point out your mistakes.
So please show your calculations. By the way, which expression you have used for the moment of inertia for the pulley?

I = mR^2 since its a rim-like thingy

T1R - T2R = I(a/R)
m1(g-a)R - m2(g+a)R = mRa
a = 4.44 m/s^2

x = vt + 0.5at^2
t = 1.082

Check the calculation of a. I am getting the correct answer.

Oh, I did the calculations wrong
I got a = 4.48 so now it's 1.077

The equations are set properly right? Thanks btw

What is a pulley?

A pulley is a simple machine that uses a grooved wheel and a rope or cable to redirect the direction of a force. It can be used to lift or lower objects, change the direction of a force, or create mechanical advantage.

How does a pulley work?

A pulley works by distributing the weight of an object evenly across multiple ropes or cables. This reduces the amount of force needed to lift the object by spreading it out over a larger area.

What is torque and how does it relate to pulleys?

Torque is a measure of the twisting force that is applied to an object. It is calculated by multiplying the force by the distance from the axis of rotation. In pulleys, the torque is the force applied to the rope or cable multiplied by the radius of the pulley.

What is tension and why is it important in pulleys?

Tension is the force applied to an object by a stretched or compressed material, such as a rope or cable. In pulleys, tension is important because it is the force that allows the pulley system to lift or lower an object. The tension in each rope or cable must be equal for the system to work properly.

What are the different types of pulleys?

There are three main types of pulleys: fixed, movable, and compound. Fixed pulleys have a stationary axle and only change the direction of the force. Movable pulleys have a movable axle and can provide mechanical advantage. Compound pulleys combine fixed and movable pulleys to provide both a change in direction and mechanical advantage.