Solving PWM Issues with TL494 - Get 50% Duty Cycle

• Thread starter kk116
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pwm
In summary: You can get heads up on how to make MOSFETs switching by searching for "mosfet switching" or "MOSFET switching tutorial".
kk116
Hi,

I am trying to build an inverter and i am using Tl494 for my PWM, i am getting the right frequency but am not getting the 50% duty cycle. Can anyone suggest me any ideas on how to adjust the duty cycle for Tl494
Thanks.

Krishna

Engineering news on Phys.org
kk116 said:
Hi,

I am trying to build an inverter and i am using Tl494 for my PWM, i am getting the right frequency but am not getting the 50% duty cycle. Can anyone suggest me any ideas on how to adjust the duty cycle for Tl494
Thanks.

Krishna

Why are you looking for 50% duty cycle? The max in the datasheet is 45%, and the duty cycle would be dependent on ... Quiz Question -- dependent on what?

I will use MOSFETs and i will use PWM to turn on or off. I need the 50% duty cycle to turn the mosfets on and off for same period.
I am trying to make an inverter for 50 Hz. The example given in the data sheet gives the duty cycle of 45% but has max frequency. I want the PWM osc. frequency to be 50 Hz. And I AM NOT SURE IF PWM OSC. FREQ WILL BE MY MOSFETs OUTPOT FREQUENCY OR NOT?
Moreover, i was able to get the PWM to 50 Hz but my duty cycle was 10% and i tried increasing the reference voltage but still didn't help.

Thanks

The duty cycle can be adjusted by adjusting the voltage on the feedback pin(3). This is normally used for voltage regulation in a power supply.

Thanks again, I had tried that before but I had ref v to be 5v. I think it was a problem since my comparator triang wave had pk-pk of 2.6v I was able to vary now with ref v from 0-.7v. Thanks again for the information
Now I have to drive MOSTETs with this pwm signal. Can I get heads up on how to make MOSFETs switching to get AC out?

Thanks

1. How does the TL494 solve PWM issues?

The TL494 is a pulse width modulation (PWM) controller that is used to generate high-frequency square wave signals. It has a built-in error amplifier and voltage reference which allows it to regulate the output voltage. It also has a feedback loop that adjusts the duty cycle of the output signal to maintain a stable output voltage, thus solving PWM issues.

2. What are some common PWM issues that the TL494 can address?

The TL494 can address issues such as voltage spikes, noise, and instability in the output signal. It can also help regulate the duty cycle and frequency of the signal to ensure a smooth and consistent output.

3. How does the TL494 ensure a 50% duty cycle?

The TL494 has a built-in comparator that compares the output signal with a reference voltage. If the duty cycle is not at 50%, the comparator will adjust the pulse width to bring it back to 50%. This ensures a balanced and symmetrical output signal.

4. Can the TL494 be used in any type of circuit?

Yes, the TL494 can be used in a variety of circuits that require a PWM controller. It is commonly used in switch-mode power supplies, motor control circuits, and lighting applications.

5. What are some tips for troubleshooting PWM issues with the TL494?

If you are experiencing PWM issues with the TL494, here are a few tips to troubleshoot the problem:

• Check the input voltage and make sure it is within the recommended range for the TL494.
  • Inspect the components around the TL494 and make sure they are properly connected and functioning.
  • Adjust the feedback loop to fine-tune the duty cycle and ensure a stable output voltage.
  • Check for any loose connections or damaged components that may be affecting the PWM signal.