1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Q factor (Quality Factor)

1. Apr 12, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The amplitude of a driven harmonic oscillator reaches a value of 20.0 F_0 /m at a resonant frequency of 390 Hz.
    What is the Q value of this system?

Since our Professor accidentally gave us the problem set from a different book instead of the one we have, and the one we have makes no mention of Q, the only introduction I have to Q value is a few sentences near the end of class, and it is just confusing me to no end.

2. Relevant equations
    Okay, so as far as I know, Q value is equal to the resonant frequency (w_0) over the width of the resonance. I have several equations relating q to nu (v) and the resonant frequency:

Q = (resonant frequency)/(width of resonance)

Q = (w_0/ v) where v is nu

and

width of resonance at K = Kmax/sqrt(2) = W

3. The attempt at a solution
    The main trouble I am having with this problem is trying to figure out how to use the two units given to convert and insert them into the equations I was given. I have assumed that the resonant frequency of 390 Hz was equal to w_0. After this, I have tried several methods to get the final answer:

At first I attempted to insert 390 into w_0 and 20 F_0/m into v and find Q that way.
    This resulted in Q = (w_0/v) = 19.5, which was incorrect, and the units are probably off (since Q is unitless)

After this, I tried to use the equation where width = Kmax/sqrt(2). I substituted 20 F_0/m into Kmax and got a width of 14.142 F_0/m. I then substituted this value into the Q equation where: Q = (390 Hz / 14.142 F_0/m) = 27.577, which is incorrect, and again I am pretty sure that my units are off.

After this, I had only two more chances to answer the question so I have just been searching for how to convert the Amplitude given into a width of resonance with no success. Can anybody help me go through the process of converting the two values given into values that I can use in the Q equation?

Thank you to anyone who replies

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2008 #2
    Actually I just figured out another part of the problem. I now think that the units [tex]F_0[/tex] / m are actually values themselves represented by variables.

F0 = maximum driving force

and m is the mass of the object.

This just means that now I think I have to find a way to take this amplitude and plug it into something that gives me the range of resonance frequency values to divide the resonant frequency by. Anyone have any idea how I would go about doing that?

4. Apr 13, 2008 #3
    anybody have any ideas at all?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?