1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

QM: Hamiltonians and energies of a system

1. Feb 13, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given known data
    Hi all.

Lets I have a system, whose Hamiltonian is given by [itex]H = p_1 + p_2[/itex], where pi is the momentum of i, where this i can be whatever, e.g. momentum in some particular direction. When the Hamiltonian is given on this form, do I know for certain that the eigenenergies of the system are on the form:

[tex]
    E_{m,n} = f(m) + g(n),
    [/tex]

where f and g are two functions that depend on respectively m and n? I.e. I am wondering if the eigenenergies of the system follow the same form as the Hamiltonian.

I hope you can help.

Best regards,
    Niles.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2009 #2

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Shouldn't your Hamiltonian be quadratic in the momenta? Or are you doing relativistic QM in natural units?

Yes, because Hamiltonians are linear operators. (Perhaps I should say that this can be done whenever the Hamiltonian is linear. I'm not sure if you can cook up a nonlinear one).

4. Feb 13, 2009 #3
    Yes, it should. Sorry for that.

Hmm, can this be seen from the following?

[tex]
    H \psi = E\psi \quad \Rightarrow \quad H_1 \psi + H_2\psi = E_1\psi + E_2\psi = E\psi.
    [/tex]

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

5. Feb 13, 2009 #4

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes. So here [itex]E=E_1+E_2[/itex].

6. Feb 16, 2009 #5
    I've thought about this for the last couple of days. What I have found out is that I believe the above only works if the wavefunction satisfies [itex]
    \psi(x_1,x_2) = \psi_1(x_1) \psi_2(x_2) [/itex], so it seperates Schrödingers time-independent equation. Do you agree?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook