Quantinzation of Energy & Planck help

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the frequency of a photon emitted when an electron changes energy levels in an atom and how to determine the wavelength of an FM radio signal with a given frequency. The formula E=hf and the constant h=6.63e-34 are mentioned, and the conversation also clarifies that the photon's energy must equal the difference in energy levels. The correct answer for the wavelength of a 98.5 MHz signal is 3.05 meters, while a 25 GHz signal would have a wavelength of 0.012 meters.
hshphyss
Can anyone help me with this question? Thanx

Calculate the frequency of the photon emitted when an electron in an atom changes from (-2.42e-19 joules) to (-21.76e-19 joules).

I know that I'm going to use E=hf and h=6.63e-34. I'm not sure what I do with the 2 energy levels, do i subtract them?

Physics news on Phys.org
A photon is emitted when an electron falls into a lower energy level. The photon must equal the difference in energy due to conservation of energy. E will equal the difference in energy levels. You can then use algebra to determine f, the frequency.

Electromagnectic Wave Help

Can anyone help me with this problem?

What is the wavelength for an FM radio signal if the number on the dial reads 98.5 MHz? C=3e8

I know that c=f wavelength, and MHz is a million hertz I thought I could do 1E6 x 98.5=9.85e7 and then I could just solve for the wavelength with 3e8=9.85e7wavelength but I keep getting the wrong answer. Am i missing something??

What answer are you getting?

My mistake I got that one it is 3.05. But another where there frequency is 25 GHz. To find the wavelength on this one i would 3e8/25e9=0.012, and that is wrong. Thanx

If its 25 ghz... then 0.012m is correct...

Related to Quantinzation of Energy & Planck help

1. What is quantization of energy?

Quantization of energy is the concept that energy can only exist in discrete, specific amounts. This means that energy cannot be infinitely divided or continuously changed, but instead comes in individual units or packets.

2. Who discovered the quantization of energy?

The concept of quantization of energy was first introduced by German physicist Max Planck in 1900. He proposed that energy is not continuously distributed, but instead occurs in discrete units called quanta.

3. How does the quantization of energy relate to Planck's constant?

Planck's constant is a fundamental constant in quantum mechanics that relates the energy of a photon to its frequency. It is a crucial factor in the quantization of energy, as it determines the size of the energy packets or quanta.

4. What are some real-life examples of quantization of energy?

The quantization of energy can be observed in many phenomena, such as the discrete energy levels of an atom, the emission of light by a lightbulb, and the energy levels of electrons in a conductor.

5. Why is the quantization of energy important?

The quantization of energy is a crucial concept in the field of quantum mechanics. It helps explain the behavior of atoms, molecules, and subatomic particles, and plays a significant role in the development of technologies such as lasers, transistors, and computer memory devices.