What Does 'Quantum Dot Exciton' Mean?

In summary, quantum dot excitons are a combination of bound states of an electron and hole in a quantum dot, while the discrete single particle states are determined by the size and shape of the dot. The difference between bulk states and quantum dot states lies in the boundary conditions of the dot. Additionally, the excitonic states in a quantum dot have a different dispersion compared to bulk excitons.
Barth
Why do we talk about " quantum dot excitons" ? For me, excitons and quantum dots are two distincts objects

For me, excitons (at least in a bulk) are a bound state of an electron and a hole, bound by the attractive coulomb potential, and their binding energy and wavefunctions are the one of a hydrogen-like system. In a quantum dot, instead, electrons and holes are localised by crystal potential barrers, and not by mutual attraction, and the energy levels and wavefunctions are determined by the size and shape of the dot.

Does "quantum dot exciton" simply means "one electron and one hole in a quantum dot", or something less trivial ?

Second question: when we calculate the energy levels of a quantum dot, we find a serie of discrete levels. Is it possible to calculate the degeneracy of such levels ?

Barth

Physics news on Phys.org
Barth said:
Why do we talk about " quantum dot excitons" ? For me, excitons and quantum dots are two distincts objects
That is true. However, the exciton radius (sometimes called the "bohr" radius of the exciton) is a natural number to use for quantifying length scales in a semiconductor. There are two distict regimes in the context of this length scale. One, where the spacing between electronic states (within a band)
is small compared to excitonic level spacings (which are tiny, due to the dielectric constant). And the other regime, where they are comparable.
For me, excitons (at least in a bulk) are a bound state of an electron and a hole, bound by the attractive coulomb potential, and their binding energy and wavefunctions are the one of a hydrogen-like system. In a quantum dot, instead, electrons and holes are localised by crystal potential barrers, and not by mutual attraction, and the energy levels and wavefunctions are determined by the size and shape of the dot.
Exactly. However, when you have a quantum dot exciton, the excitonic states get significantly modified by the boundary conditions imposed by the dot.

It is when this significant change occurs that we say that "confinement" is achieved.

Second question: when we calculate the energy levels of a quantum dot, we find a serie of discrete levels. Is it possible to calculate the degeneracy of such levels ? Barth
In the absence of a magnetic field - unless I've misunderstood you - all levels are doubly degenerate (due to Pauli).

Last edited:
So if i understood well, in a quantum dot, there is two type of states:
the discrete "particule in a box", one electron states, equivalents in the confined object of the (kx,ky,kz,n) states of the bulk, and excitonic states, equivalents of the excitonics states of the bulk. And the only difference between bulk states and quantum dots states take their origin in the boundary conditions.

Is that right ?

can u help me to get more information about the quantum dot and kondo effect it my project in Msc,

Barth said:
So if i understood well, in a quantum dot, there is two type of states:
the discrete "particule in a box", one electron states, equivalents in the confined object of the (kx,ky,kz,n) states of the bulk, and excitonic states, equivalents of the excitonics states of the bulk. And the only difference between bulk states and quantum dots states take their origin in the boundary conditions.

Is that right ?
I believe this is correct, but you shouldn't take my word for it. The excitonic states are "intrinsic" to the quantum dot just as they are intrinsic to a bulk semiconductor - however, their dispersion is different from bulk excitons (due to difference in V(r)). The single particle states are the spectrum of electrons/holes that are made to populate the well (by doping, or heating for instance). The well/box itself, is nothing but the local structure in the conduction (or valence, in the case of holes) band.

What are quantum dot excitons?

Quantum dot excitons are quasi-particles that form when an electron and a hole interact in a quantum dot, which is a nanoscale semiconductor structure. They exhibit unique optical and electronic properties due to their confined size and discrete energy levels.

How are quantum dot excitons created?

Quantum dot excitons are created when an electron from the conduction band and a hole from the valence band are brought together in a quantum dot. This can happen through various methods such as photoexcitation, electrical injection, or chemical doping.

What are the applications of quantum dot excitons?

Quantum dot excitons have a wide range of potential applications, including in optoelectronic devices such as solar cells, LEDs, and lasers. They are also being studied for their potential use in quantum computing and information processing.

How do quantum dot excitons differ from regular excitons?

Quantum dot excitons differ from regular excitons in their size, energy levels, and confinement. Regular excitons are formed in bulk materials, while quantum dot excitons are confined to a nanoscale structure. This leads to different optical and electronic properties.

What are the challenges in studying quantum dot excitons?

Studying quantum dot excitons can be challenging due to their small size and short lifetime. They also interact with their surroundings, making it difficult to isolate and manipulate them. Additionally, the fabrication and characterization of quantum dots can be complex and expensive.