Quantum entanglement in the MWI

Sayestu
TL;DR Summary
Does the MWI explain "spooky action at a distance"?
As far as I know, we don't understand the apparent faster-than-light "communication" between a measured particle and one entangled to it. Does the Many Worlds Interpretation explain this? Does it have anything else to say about entanglement?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sayestu said:
TL;DR Summary: Does the MWI explain "spooky action at a distance"?

As far as I know, we don't understand the apparent faster-than-light "communication" between a measured particle and one entangled to it.
There is no apparent faster-than-light communication involved in quantum entanglement.

Quantum entanglement is well understood within Quantum Mechanics. That some people may not be satisfied with this understanding is another matter.

Sayestu said:
Does the Many Worlds Interpretation explain this?
Not more than any other interpretation.
Sayestu said:
Does it have anything else to say about entanglement?
That's a broad question!

Sayestu said:
TL;DR Summary: Does the MWI explain "spooky action at a distance"?

As far as I know, we don't understand the apparent faster-than-light "communication" between a measured particle and one entangled to it.
Well, yes we do understand it perfectly well - assuming QM is correct. Bell's Theorem places constraints on any other proposed alternative, or extended, theory to replace QM. Loosely speaking you need instant communication or measurements which do not provide a definite outcome. "Every possibility happening at once" for instance. So you could argue that the apparent FTL communication is an artefact of rejecting indefiniteness. Not that the required indefiniteness is any easier to swallow than FTL.

Sayestu said:
Does the Many Worlds Interpretation explain this?
Sure. By postulating that the wave function doesn't collapse, MWI leaves multiple possible outcomes superposed. These develop into the separate worlds. This co-existence of outcomes satisfies one of the constraints of Bell's Theorem, indefiniteness. So there is no need to suppose there's any FTL communication. You don't need both.
Sayestu said:
Does it have anything else to say about entanglement?
Not specifically. MWI was developed to get rid of the collapse postulate. As such it affects all of QM.

Sayestu said:
Does the MWI explain "spooky action at a distance"?
Sort of. According to MWI, spooky action at a distance is just an illusion. Fundamentally, there is no action at a distance because there is no distance. According to MWI, we don't really live in a 3-dimensional world (that's just an illusion), so there is no distance in a 3-dimensional sense.

Likes physika
Demystifier said:
Sort of. According to MWI, spooky action at a distance is just an illusion. Fundamentally, there is no action at a distance because there is no distance. According to MWI, we don't really live in a 3-dimensional world (that's just an illusion), so there is no distance in a 3-dimensional sense.
This is valid up to a certain extent. It does not explain why we we do not have faster than light communication.

• Skeptical
Likes PeroK
pines-demon said:
This is valid up to a certain extent. It does not explain why we we do not have faster than light communication.
It's up to you to explain why you think we might have FTL communication involved in quantum entanglement.

PeroK said:
It's up to you to explain why you think we might have FTL communication involved in quantum entanglement.
We do not have FTL communication. Call it whatever you want weak nonlocality, influence, or correlations, but it is not FTL signalling or FTL communication of energy/information.

Likes kered rettop
Demystifier said:
According to MWI, we don't really live in a 3-dimensional world (that's just an illusion), so there is no distance in a 3-dimensional sense.
Do you mean the multi-dimensional world of phase space or something arcane, esoteric and ineffable? :oldbiggrin:

kered rettop said:
Do you mean the multi-dimensional world of phase space or something arcane, esoteric and ineffable? :oldbiggrin:
or just Hilbert space.

• Skeptical
Likes kered rettop and PeroK
kered rettop said:
Not exactly, but you are close. It can be the multi-dimensional world of configuration space (that's where the wave function in the position representation lives), or it can be the quantum Hilbert space.

Likes physika and kered rettop
pines-demon said:
MWI explains quite easily why entanglement does not allow faster than light communication. It is because the agent who is supposed to communicate cannot choose at will which of the many branches of the wave function will be his branch.

• Skeptical
  • Informative
Likes mattt, pines-demon and kered rettop
Demystifier said:
MWI explains quite easily why entanglement does not allow faster than light communication. It is because the agent who is supposed to communicate cannot choose at will which of the many branches of the wave function will be his branch.
I would just like to reassure pines-demon that, if he feels that Demystifier is missing out a few vital steps in the argument, he is not alone. :wink:

Last edited:
Likes pines-demon
kered rettop said:
I would just like to reassure pines-demon that, if he feels that Demystifier is missing out a few vital steps in the argument, he is not alone. :wink:
Those are left as an exercise for the reader. :oldbiggrin:

• Love
  • Wow
  • Haha
Likes kered rettop, gentzen and pines-demon
Demystifier said:
Sorry, I can't read.

kered rettop said:
Sorry, I can't read.
Do you know why entanglement cannot be used for FTL signaling in standard QM?

Likes PeterDonis and PeroK
kered rettop said:

Demystifier said:
I was just going to go deep into the semantics of MWI but I can live with this answer. :wink:

• Wow
Likes kered rettop
Demystifier said:
Do you know why entanglement cannot be used for FTL signaling in standard QM?
I sense a trap! I am tempted to say, The No-Communication Theorem, but as your question presumably harks back to post #12, I'll just say no.

[Mentors’ note: although this is not one of the best Wikipedia articles, it is a reasonably accurate proof of why entanglement does not allow FTL communication. We have a long thread hijack basically arguing about whether this proof is properly called the “No-Communication Theorem” has been removed from this thread]

Last edited by a moderator:
kered rettop said:
I am tempted to say, The No-Communication Theorem
This is one of those cases where you should yield to temptation. :wink: The question specifically asked about "standard QM", and the no communication theorem is the answer for that. Different interpretations will tell different stories about why the no communication theorem is true (and post #12 gives a brief version of the story that the MWI might tell), but that's not "standard QM", that's interpretations.

Likes Demystifier
PeterDonis said:
This is one of those cases where you should yield to temptation.
Where have I heard that before? 😈
PeterDonis said:
The question specifically asked about "standard QM", and the no communication theorem is the answer for that.
Of course. Everybody knows that...
pines-demon said:
I seriously think that the theorem is not that popular and its origins are not well understood outside research groups.
... or maybe not everybody.
]

• Haha
Likes pines-demon
PeterDonis said:
This depends on which interpretation you use. In the MWI, measurement does not break any entanglements, it just creates more of them.
Does any interpretation single out entanglements as being "broken" by a measurement? I would have thought that they must assert that either any superposition is or that none is. Serious question.

kered rettop said:
Does any interpretation single out entanglements as being "broken" by a measurement?
Any interpretation in which measurements have single outcomes will, since the resulting state will be a product state.

PeterDonis said:
Any interpretation in which measurements have single outcomes will, since the resulting state will be a product state.
That's why I said "single out entanglements"! To my simple mind, "breaking" an entanglement is exactly the same as "collapse" of the wave function. Why have two words for the same thing, unless they are interpreted differently?

<sarcasm>Perhaps the ghosts who do all the work so quickly and over such long distances need to work in pairs? o0) </>

Last edited:
kered rettop said:
That's why I said "single out entanglements"! To my simple mind, "breaking" an entanglement is exactly the same as "collapse" of the wave function. Why have two words for the same thing, unless they are interpreted differently?
Drat the system timeout! I really wanted to have another go at clarifying what I meant. Well, never mind. I'm clear on the physics and I don't want to go hair-splitting or getting bogged down in semantics. But I do feel that talking about "breaking the entanglement" suggests that something weird and wonderful is going on unrelated to "collapse of the wavefunction" - which is merely weird and wearisome. So I was wondering whether there are any interpretations, preferably within the canon of acceptable sources on PF, which tell a different story about state reduction in different scenarios? Probably not!

Last edited:
kered rettop said:
You can model the breaking of entanglement with unitary evolution. You just need to include the pointer degrees of freedom.

Morbert said:
You can model the breaking of entanglement with unitary evolution. You just need to include the pointer degrees of freedom.
Of course. Same as collapse of the wavefunction. Make the pointer big enough and you've got MWI. So was that a yes or a no? :oldbiggrin:

kered rettop said:
So was that a yes or a no?
Still looking for straight answers in the interpretations subforum, I see? Sorry, they're not on offer there. :)

And seriously, I think you've just encountered another reason to be unhappy witrh natural language descriptions of entanglement. The math is clear and as you describe (just collapse, here of an non-factorizable superposition, but still just collapse), the non-technical math-free description starts off track ("we have two particles...") and never recovers.

kered rettop said:
To my simple mind, "breaking" an entanglement is exactly the same as "collapse" of the wave function.
No, it isn't, because you can have wave function collapse even in cases where you are not measuring an entangled system. For example, if I measure the spin of a single free electron that isn't entangled with anything, I still have wave function collapse (in an interpretation where there is such a thing) when I detect the electron in one or the other output arm of the Stern-Gerlach device.

Morbert said:
That doesn't break entanglement, it just spreads it out to include the pointer degrees of freedom. (And then to include the environment degrees of freedom, once you take decoherence into account.) I already posted about this.

Nugatory said:
Still looking for straight answers in the interpretations subforum, I see? Sorry, they're not on offer there. :)
I wouldn't say they're exactly "on offer" anywhere else on PF :wink: Still, point taken.

Nugatory said:
And seriously, I think you've just encountered another reason to be unhappy witrh natural language descriptions of entanglement. The math is clear and as you describe (just collapse, here of an non-factorizable superposition, but still just collapse),
Thanks. It's nice to be told you've got something right, once in a while.

Edit - Darn, I spoke too soon. Thank you, PeterDonis.

Got to agree about language, though I might go a bit further and say the concepts themselves are alien to our natural way of thinking.
Nugatory said:
the non-technical math-free description starts off track ("we have two particles...") and never recovers.
Ah, just when I thought I was following you! What's wrong with "we have two particles"? It may be that in QFT, the number of particles can be uncertain but surely not in good old vanilla QM?

Last edited:
PeterDonis said:
No, it isn't, because you can have wave function collapse even in cases where you are not measuring an entangled system. For example, if I measure the spin of a single free electron that isn't entangled with anything, I still have wave function collapse (in an interpretation where there is such a thing) when I detect the electron in one or the other output arm of the Stern-Gerlach device.
Didn't I mention this? Must have edited it out thinking it was too obvious to be worth saying. Life being short and all that. Yes, obviously, the words do mean different things and you can't break the entanglement of a system that is not entangled because that would be silly. But they still refer to the same putative physical process.

Likes pines-demon
kered rettop said:
Ah, just when I thought I was following you! What's wrong with "we have two particles"?
In the math we don’t have two particles. We have one quantum system described by one wave function, it just so happens that the two possible measurements (spin/polarization at one detector, spin/polarization at the other) we might perform on this system happen at different places. Because of the spatial separation our classical intuition demands that we think in terms of two distinguishable particles in two different places… and it’s a short step from there to spooky action at a distance and all the other entanglement misunderstandings that show up in our B-level threads.

Likes PeroK and Lord Jestocost
Conjecture: It does not matter what terminology you use to describe entanglement, there is always one interpretation in which your description is wrong.

Corollary: you might use math to avoid this problem, but you will still get criticism for how you call or describe your equations and variables.

Of course this does not exclude being wrong in all interpretations. :oldbiggrin:

Likes kered rettop
PeterDonis said:
That doesn't break entanglement, it just spreads it out to include the pointer degrees of freedom. (And then to include the environment degrees of freedom, once you take decoherence into account.) I already posted about this.
I am referring to the entanglement in the microscopic system. E.g. Consider a two-particle system in the Bell state ##|\Phi^+_{12}\rangle\langle\Phi^+_{12}|## and a joint (and ideal and nondestructive) spin measurement represented by ##\frac{\hbar^2}{4}\sigma^1_x\sigma^2_z## (I.e. a measure of spin-x on particle 1 and spin-z on particle 2). If we include the pointer degrees of freedom, a unitary evolution through the measurement process and a trace over the pointer degrees of freedom will yield the two-particle system in the unentangled state ##\rho_1\otimes\rho_2##.

[edit]- Rewrote last bit, which was unclear

Last edited:
Morbert said:
I am referring to the entanglement in the microscopic system
Unitary evolution doesn't break that either. The microscopic entanglement will no longer be maximal, because other degrees of freedom are involved, but it doesn't go away either.

Morbert said:
a trace over the pointer degrees of freedom
Throws away precisely the information you need to see that the entanglement between the microscopic degrees of freedom is still there. To properly evaluate this question you need to look at the actual pure state of the entire system; you can't trace out anything.

Likes kered rettop