Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quark mixing factor in CKM matrix

1. Nov 25, 2015 #1
    I find that the quark mixing factor say for example ##V_{ub}## is the same for:
    u ##\Leftrightarrow## b
    ##u\Leftrightarrow\bar{b}##
    ##\bar{u}\Leftrightarrow## b
    ##\bar{u}\Leftrightarrow\bar{b}##
    Does this have something to do with weak interaction being unable to distinguish these from one another?
    Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2015 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There is no (known) interaction which turns a quark into an anti-quark as that would violate baryon number.

For the coupling between ##u## and ##b## being equal (in magnitude) to the coupling between ##\bar u## and ##\bar b##, this is a simple consequence of the Lagrangian density being Hermitian.

4. Nov 25, 2015 #3
    I can understand that the coupling between u and b is equal (in magnitude) to the coupling between ##\bar{u}## and ##\bar{b}## due to the Hermitian property but in the decay of charged Kaon,
    ##K^+ \rightarrow \mu^+ + \nu_\mu##
    the hadronic part of the current has ##V_{c\bar{s}}## which is the same coupling as ##V_{cs}##.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
  5. Nov 25, 2015 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

It is not a transition between them, that is the point.
    You can rotate the diagram to get u -> s+W+, for example (no c involved in a kaon decay). The vertex stays the same, so you need Vus.

6. Nov 25, 2015 #5
    Sorry ##V_{us}##. Ah, now I get it. Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook