Question About Recoil: What Causes It?

• Thread starter Firefox123
  • Start date
In summary: I meant to say, "you can ALSO think that the cause..."In summary, the conversation discusses the cause of recoil in different scenarios, such as a gun, a rocket, a balloon filled with air, and a water hose. The cause is attributed to both an imbalance of forces and the conservation of momentum. The force is exerted from within the object, such as the inner front wall of a rocket or the walls of a balloon or water hose. The discussion also touches on the fundamental rule of inertia and mass as a possible explanation for the cause of recoil.
Firefox123
Question about recoil...

Hey all...

I have a question related to Newtons third law of motion...action and reaction...

I was discussing what happens in certain action/reaction situations like

1. A gun recoiling
2. A rocket flying
3. A balloon filled with air flying after releasing the open end
4. A water hose recoiling from high pressured water

The other person I was speaking with is trying to look at the reaction as a "push" from the exiting air or liquid...

Let me explain...here is how he sees the "rocket" example...

He believes the rocket moves in an upward motion because the expanding gases leaving the bottom of the rocket exert a net upward force on the rocket itself...

since after the gas goes through the opening there isn't any physical contact with the rocket...he sees the gas (or liquid) exerting equal forces in all directions, but since one direction (the opening for any of the 4 examples) is not against the object itself we get a net force.

Im not sure if this is a good way to think about it...

I believe the explanation has something to do with the nature of mass/inertia itself...if some system is losing mass in a certain direction with a certain velocity, then that system must act in such a way to balance that loss of mass.

Am I way off here?

I can't picture any way there could be a physical force transmitted (via the air or water being expelled) to an "edge" or side of a rocket, hose, gun, or balloon in such a way to cause it to move in a direction opposite the flow of the fluid.

Im thinking that we probably shouldn't try to think of it that way and that the answer is more fundamental and has to do with the nature of mass/inertia itself.

Hopefully I haven't completely confused any readers...can anyone help me here?

What really causes the "reaction" in the 4 examples I have listed?

Russ

Physics news on Phys.org
Your friend is partly correct, but the force is applied inside the rocket, not outside. Specifically, the force is exerted upon the inner front wall of the expansion chamber.

Say the chamber is cube-shaped. The expansion of the fuel pushes in six directions equally. It pushes against the 4 side walls, but these forces are equal and opposite, and so cancel out. It pushes against the front wall of the chamber. But there is no rear wall - the gases escape. Since the forward push is not balanced by a rearward push, the rocket moves in the direction of the only force that's not canceled - forward.

DaveC426913 said:
Your friend is partly correct, but the force is applied inside the rocket, not outside. Specifically, the force is exerted upon the inner front wall of the expansion chamber.

Say the chamber is cube-shaped. The expansion of the fuel pushes in six directions equally. It pushes against the 4 side walls, but these forces are equal and opposite, and so cancel out. It pushes against the front wall of the chamber. But there is no rear wall - the gases escape. Since the forward push is not balanced by a rearward push, the rocket moves in the direction of the only force that's not canceled - forward.

Hey Dave...thanks for the reply...

I can see how this line of reasoning can easily be extended to the recoil of a gun...but what about the balloon or water hose?

Can we think about the gas giving the balloon a net force upward because the force downward is reduced by the escaping gas?

What about the water hose? Can we say that the pressure exerted by the water in the direction of the opening is reduced and so the water pushes the hose back by forces inside the hose?

Can we think about it this way?

I thought it was due to a more fundamental rule of inertia and mass rather then due to a lack of forces in a particular direction...maybe I was wrong and overcomplicating the situation...

Russ

Both you and your friend are right. As DaveC explained, you can think the movement is due to an imbalance of forces, but you can think that the cause is the conservation of momentum. If mass is expelled in a certain direction with a certain velocity, the remaining mass must move in the opposite direction, in order to conserve momentum.

"... what about the balloon or water hose?..."

Yes. I presume you're talking about an air-filled balloon (a helium-filled balloon involves properties of bouyancy that might complicate the situation). Yes, the push against the front of the balloon pushes it in the opposite direction.

How much push? Well, how much push is *not* being canceled by the rearward wall? One might think that's rather small, considering the tiny opening it has to escape through, but realize that the push is quite strong - strong enough that the air rushes out so fast as to create as jet - and a phblthpblthpth! sound!

Note that the force does not merely 'start' the moment the gas starts to exit the balloon. That force has been there as long as the balloon has been inflated. The forces are always pushing against the walls. In fact, it is what is keeping the balloon's shape - that's how much force is being applied inside the balloon.

"Can we think about the gas giving the balloon a net force upward because the force downward is reduced by the escaping gas?"

Yes, but again, don't confuse it with a helium balloon. The balloon will be just as happy to go sideways or even straight down, provided it's pointed that way.

"What about the water hose? Can we say that the pressure exerted by the water in the direction of the opening is reduced and so the water pushes the hose back by forces inside the hose?"

Yes.

"I thought it was due to a more fundamental rule of inertia and mass rather then due to a lack of forces in a particular direction...maybe I was wrong and overcomplicating the situation..."

No, you're not wrong - that is an equivalent way of looking at it.

"...but you can think that the cause is the conservation of momentum. If mass is expelled in a certain direction with a certain velocity, the remaining mass must move in the opposite direction, in order to conserve momentum."

Yes, I was just choosing to explain in a way that doesn't invovle the rather mysterious property of inertia, since that's the crux of the confusion.

Last edited:
SGT said:
Both you and your friend are right. As DaveC explained, you can think the movement is due to an imbalance of forces, but you can think that the cause is the conservation of momentum. If mass is expelled in a certain direction with a certain velocity, the remaining mass must move in the opposite direction, in order to conserve momentum.

Hey SGT...

Thanks for the reply man...

I guess the two ways are really the same thing...

Im sometimes overly skeptical of what I would call "billiard ball" explanations...it seems my skepticism was misplaced in this case...

Thanks for the response.

Russ

DaveC426913 said:
Yes. I presume you're talking about an air-filled balloon (a helium-filled balloon involves properties of bouyancy that might complicate the situation). Yes, the push against the front of the balloon pushes it in the opposite direction.

Right...I was referring to an air filled balloon and was neglecting such things as bouyancy...

DaveC426913 said:
How much push? Well, how much push is *not* being canceled by the rearward wall? One might think that's rather small, considering the tiny opening it has to escape through, but realize that the push is quite strong - strong enough that the air rushes out so fast as to create as jet - and a phblthpblthpth! sound!

True...good point...

DaveC426913 said:
Note that the force does not merely 'start' the moment the gas starts to exit the balloon. That force has been there as long as the balloon has been inflated. The forces are always pushing against the walls. In fact, it is what is keeping the balloon's shape - that's how much force is being applied inside the balloon.

Agreed...

DaveC426913 said:
Yes, but again, don't confuse it with a helium balloon. The balloon will be just as happy to go sideways or even straight down, provided it's pointed that way.

Right...

DaveC426913 said:
Yes.

Okay.

After a little thought I found myself becoming more convinced that this was the case...

DaveC426913 said:
No, you're not wrong - that is an equivalent way of looking at it.

Got it.

Thanks.

DaveC426913 said:
Yes, I was just choosing to explain in a way that doesn't invovle the rather mysterious property of inertia, since that's the crux of the confusion.

Cool...Thanks for the replies DaveC426913...I appreciate it.

Russ

1. What is recoil?

Recoil is the backward movement or kickback of a firearm after it has been discharged. It is caused by the force of the expanding gas propelling the bullet forward.

2. What causes recoil?

Recoil is caused by the conservation of momentum. When the bullet is fired, it has a certain amount of momentum. As it travels down the barrel, the expanding gas behind it also has momentum. When the bullet leaves the barrel, the gas must also leave, and this results in the backward movement of the firearm.

3. Why do different firearms have different levels of recoil?

The level of recoil is dependent on several factors such as the weight of the firearm, the amount and type of gunpowder used, and the type of ammunition. A heavier firearm will absorb more of the recoil, resulting in less felt recoil. Similarly, a larger amount of gunpowder will create more gas and therefore more recoil.

4. Is recoil dangerous?

Recoil can be dangerous if the firearm is not handled properly. It is important to have a firm grip on the firearm and to keep it pointed in a safe direction to prevent injury to yourself or others.

5. How can recoil be reduced?

Recoil can be reduced by using a firearm with a heavier weight, using a muzzle brake or compensator to redirect the gas, using a recoil pad on the stock, or using a different type of ammunition with less gunpowder. Proper shooting stance and grip can also help to mitigate the effects of recoil.