Question for Kirchhoff's current law for RC circuit

In summary, KCL (Kirchhoff's Current Law) is a fundamental law in circuit analysis that states that the sum of all currents entering and leaving a point in a circuit must be equal to 0. When dealing with capacitors, it is important to choose a consistent direction for the current flow through the capacitor in order to correctly apply KCL. This direction is typically chosen to be from the positive to the negative side of the capacitor, and this convention is used consistently to avoid confusion and ensure accurate results.
goodphy
Hello.

Maybe this is very basic and important question for circuit analysis. Please see the attached image.

KCL (Kirchhoff's Current Law) is applied to red arrow-indicated point and I choose the convention that current flowing out from the point is positive.

- side of the capacitor is actually grounded thus its voltage is 0 and red arrow point is V.

I1 = V/R and I2 = C(dV/dt).

Substituting these to KCL as I1 + I2 = 0 give the right equation as

V/R + C(dV/dt) = 0

The solution of exponentially decaying with time constant of RC.

Until this problem is solved well. Good!

But what if I choose the direction of I2 in opposite way? In this case KCL becomes

V/R - C(dV/dt) = 0

and solution is not right. V increases forever!

Only solution to solve this problem is to accept the idea that C(dV/dt) is positive only when current is from + to - through the capacitor. But why? The current can go + to - in rounding circuit all the way. (It is counter-clock wise direction here.)

Could you tell me why i = C(dV/dt) has positive polarity only when current is across the capacitor from + to negative? Is there any physical reason?

Attachments

• RC Circuit.jpg
    RC Circuit.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 1,123
Physics news on Phys.org
Entropy. The capacitor will not fill itself with charge, it wants to return to the no-charge state. Therefore, the direction of current must indicate the emptying of capacitor charge.

goodphy said:
But what if I choose the direction of I2 in opposite way? In this case KCL becomes

V/R - C(dV/dt) = 0

and solution is not right. V increases forever!
If you change the direction of I2 then the voltage across the capacitor is -V. So your equation would be V/R - C(d(-V)/dt) = 0 which is the same as the correct equation V/R + C(dV/dt) = 0.

But don't ever do that. You will just confuse yourself and lead to mistakes. Adopt the standard convention and use it consistently every time.

Likes goodphy
goodphy said:
V/R - C(dV/dt) = 0
Well, choosing the opposite direction as for the arrow I2, you will change sign of your result.

1A in the first direction = -1A in the opposite direction.

So the physical current will not change its positive direction. If you (also) change direction of the arrow as for I1, you will get the equation:

-V/R - C(dV/dt) = 0

Last edited:
Thanks for replaying, people. I've been encouraged to imagine which current direction should be taken when empty capacitor is connected with the battery then I understood that this convention is actually true.

goodphy said:
I understood that this convention is actually true.
Well, conventions are not about being true or false, they are about being consistent. As long as you are consistent you will get the right answer.

So we adopt the conventions and apply them the exact same way each and every time, not because they are true, but for consistency.

Likes berkeman and goodphy

1. What is Kirchhoff's current law for RC circuit?

Kirchhoff's current law, also known as the junction rule, states that the total current flowing into a junction in an RC circuit must be equal to the total current flowing out of the junction. This law is based on the principle of conservation of charge.

2. How is Kirchhoff's current law applied in an RC circuit?

In an RC circuit, Kirchhoff's current law is used to determine the unknown currents at each junction. By setting up a system of equations based on the law, the values of the currents can be solved for.

3. What is the significance of Kirchhoff's current law in RC circuits?

Kirchhoff's current law is essential in analyzing RC circuits and understanding the behavior of currents in a circuit. It allows us to calculate the currents at each junction and predict the overall behavior of the circuit.

4. Are there any limitations to Kirchhoff's current law in RC circuits?

While Kirchhoff's current law is generally accurate, it does have some limitations. It assumes that the total current in a circuit is constant, which may not always be the case in more complex circuits with non-linear components.

5. How does Kirchhoff's current law relate to the voltage and resistance in an RC circuit?

Kirchhoff's current law is closely related to Ohm's law, which states that the current flowing through a component is directly proportional to the voltage applied and inversely proportional to the resistance. Kirchhoff's current law helps us to understand how these relationships apply in an RC circuit.