1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question from Haar's Problems in QM.

1. Oct 6, 2009 #1

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Determine the momentum proobability distribution function for particles in the n-th energy state in a potential well.

2. Relevant equations
    a is the width of the well.
    The answer is:for n odd:[tex]|a(p)|^2 = \frac{4an^2\pi}{\hbar}\frac{1}{(\frac{a^2p^2}{\hbar^2}-\pi^2n^2)^2} cos^2(\frac{pa}{2\hbar})[/tex]
    for n even:
    :[tex]|a(p)|^2 = \frac{4an^2\pi}{\hbar}\frac{1}{(\frac{a^2p^2}{\hbar^2}-\pi^2n^2)^2} sin^2(\frac{pa}{2\hbar})[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    What equations should I use here?

Sorry for my misunderstanding, it's more than a year from QM1, and I am bit rusty, thanks.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2009 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You have a couple of options:

(1)Solve Schroedinger's equation in the momentum basis to find (a normalized) [itex]\psi(p)[/itex] (your problem statement seem to call this [itex]a(p)[/itex])...Since your potential is given in the position basis, you would need to first take its Fourier Transform to find its momentum basis representation.

(2)Solve Schroedinger's equation in the position basis to find (a normalized) [itex]\psi(x)[/itex] and then compute its Fourier transform to find [itex]\psi(p)[/itex]

(3)If you have already solved Shroedinger's equation in either basis in your text/notes, just quote that solution and take the Fourier transform if necessary.

Once you've found [itex]\psi(p)[/itex], the momentum probability distribution is just its modulus squared.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook