1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question involving beats and sound waves

1. Sep 12, 2005 #1
    Hi, I have a question involving beats and sound waves.
    When two sound waves (one with a MUCH LARGER Frequency than the other) combine, what would happen? Would there still be a beat pattern? Me, I think that if there still is a beat pattern, it would have the same frequency as that of the highest frequency of one of the combining waves. Am I right, or horribly wrong? I'm really puzzled by this. Thank you very much for your time.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2005 #2

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Check your book and find the formula for the beat frequency. It is not the higher of the two combining frequencies.

4. Sep 12, 2005 #3

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

If wave #1 has a much larger frequency than wave #2, then what you get is (approximately) a wave of frequency #1 whose amplitude varies according to frequency #2. This is the principle used in AM (amplitude modulation) radio signals.

5. Sep 12, 2005 #4

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

IMO, the answer can be seen clearly by looking at the "unmanipulated" equation of "beats", i.e. the simple addition of the two waves:

[tex]y(t) = Acos(\omega_1t) + Acos(\omega_2t)[/tex]

what does the addition of these two graph looks like if [itex]\omega_1 << \omega_2[/itex]?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?