Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question on how to calculate bond energy in crystal.

1. Sep 19, 2005 #1
    Dear all:
    Since bond energies in crystal are very important in say single crystal growth theory, and it seems very difficult to do such calculations. However, can someone give me some hints on this task, or if there is a perfect solution, please let me know.
    Sincerely
    Hongbin Zhang

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2005 #2

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Look at Born and Huang's book, Dynamical Theory of Crystal Lattices for a good start.

4. Nov 19, 2005 #3
    Dear friend
    your question is very important. But you know nature is complicate, so you have to simplify your request, because is not possible find an equation definitive.

5. Nov 19, 2005 #4
    Could you explain into a little more detail, within what context you are doing such calculations ? I mean, do you work with certain experimental data as an input for your calculations, or is this just work of theoretical nature ?

You can "easily" do this job by means of ab initio modelling based upon DFT...Do you use such modeling software (siesta, abinit, castep,...) ?

regards
    $
    marlon

6. Jul 8, 2006 #5
    Dear all:
    I want to calculate the C-C bond energy of diamond. But I don't kown how to calculate the bond energy by DFT. Can you tell me? Thanks a lot.

H. L. Yu

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?