Question on how to calculate bond energy in crystal.

In summary, the conversation is about the difficulty of calculating bond energies in crystals, particularly when it comes to single crystal growth theory. The participants are looking for hints or a perfect solution to this task, and suggest consulting Born and Huang's book or using ab initio modeling based on DFT. The specific question is how to calculate the C-C bond energy of diamond using DFT.
leoant
Dear all:
Since bond energies in crystal are very important in say single crystal growth theory, and it seems very difficult to do such calculations. However, can someone give me some hints on this task, or if there is a perfect solution, please let me know.
Sincerely
Hongbin Zhang

Physics news on Phys.org
Look at Born and Huang's book, Dynamical Theory of Crystal Lattices for a good start.

Dear friend
your question is very important. But you know nature is complicate, so you have to simplify your request, because is not possible find an equation definitive.

leoant said:
Dear all:
Since bond energies in crystal are very important in say single crystal growth theory, and it seems very difficult to do such calculations. However, can someone give me some hints on this task, or if there is a perfect solution, please let me know.
Sincerely
Hongbin Zhang

Could you explain into a little more detail, within what context you are doing such calculations ? I mean, do you work with certain experimental data as an input for your calculations, or is this just work of theoretical nature ?

You can "easily" do this job by means of ab initio modelling based upon DFT...Do you use such modeling software (siesta, abinit, castep,...) ?

regards
$
marlon

Dear all:
I want to calculate the C-C bond energy of diamond. But I don't kown how to calculate the bond energy by DFT. Can you tell me? Thanks a lot.

H. L. Yu

1. What is bond energy in a crystal?

Bond energy is the amount of energy required to break the bonds between atoms in a crystal. It is a measure of the strength of the bonds holding the crystal together.

2. How do you calculate bond energy in a crystal?

The bond energy in a crystal can be calculated using the formula E = (Etotal - Eseparated) / N, where Etotal is the total energy of the crystal, Eseparated is the energy of the separated atoms, and N is the number of bonds in the crystal.

3. What factors affect bond energy in a crystal?

The bond energy in a crystal is affected by various factors such as the type of atoms involved, the distance between the atoms, and the overall structure of the crystal. The strength of the bonds also depends on the type of bonding (ionic, covalent, or metallic).

4. How is bond energy related to the properties of a crystal?

The bond energy in a crystal is directly related to its physical and chemical properties. A higher bond energy means a stronger crystal structure, which can result in properties such as high melting and boiling points, hardness, and resistance to chemical reactions.

5. Can bond energy in a crystal be measured experimentally?

Yes, bond energy in a crystal can be measured experimentally using techniques such as X-ray diffraction, infrared spectroscopy, and calorimetry. These methods can provide valuable information about the strength of the bonds in a crystal.