Question on initial value problem

In summary, the initial value problem is to find y(x) given y'' + 4y = 4, y(0) = 1, and y'(0) = 1. The method used is to solve the LHS to get y = A cos 2x + B sin 2x, with A and B being constants. Substituting y(0) = 1 and y'(0) = 1, we get A = 0 and B = 1. Therefore, the final answer is y(x) = 1 + sin (2x). However, there are errors in the given solution, as A should not be equal to 1 and y = 1 + A cos
cue928
I am working on the following initial value problem:

y'' + 4y = 4, y(0) = 1, y'(0) = 1

The method they show is:
(1): y = A cos x + B sin x
A = 1, (2): y = 1 + A cos x + B sin x
y(0) = 1 + A = 0
y'(0) = B = 1
Final answer is y(x) = 1 + sin(x)

The problem I don't see is the first equation (1). I had y = A cos(2x) + B sin(2x) by solving the LHS. The, I am confused on how they proceed with writing the equation (2). I've done IVP's before without problems, so I am confused what I am missing here.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm happy to help out if you correct a few errors first.

In (1): you have written 'A = 1.' But in fact your final answer has A = 0. Are you using 'A' to mean different things?

In (2): we know that y(0) = 1, so it can't be the case that 1 + A = 0.

Finally, your answer y(x) = 1 + sin (x) does not satisfy the equation y'' + 4y = 4.

Last edited:
hi cue928! :wink:
cue928 said:
y'' + 4y = 4, y(0) = 1, y'(0) = 1
(2): y = 1 + A cos x + B sin x

yes you're right :smile:

clearly, (2) should be y = 1 + A cos 2x + B sin 2x :redface:

1. What is an initial value problem?

An initial value problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding a solution to a differential equation given an initial condition. The initial condition is a specific value of the dependent variable at a given independent variable value.

2. What is the importance of initial value problems?

Initial value problems are important because they allow us to model real-world phenomena and predict future behavior. They are commonly used in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields to understand and solve problems involving rates of change.

3. How do you solve an initial value problem?

To solve an initial value problem, you must first determine the type of differential equation and find its general solution. Then, you can use the initial condition to find the specific solution that satisfies the given condition.

4. What are the main types of initial value problems?

The main types of initial value problems are ordinary differential equations (ODEs) and partial differential equations (PDEs). ODEs involve a single independent variable, while PDEs involve multiple independent variables.

5. Can initial value problems have multiple solutions?

Yes, initial value problems can have multiple solutions. This can occur if the general solution of the differential equation is a family of curves, and the initial condition does not uniquely determine a specific solution. In this case, additional information or constraints are needed to determine the unique solution.