What is the net force on Hydro in Problem #7 of the Net Force Homework?

In summary, Hydro falls 4.67 m and comes to rest .543 seconds after hitting the water. The net force exerted on Hydro is 8.60 Newtons.
jg871

Homework Statement

Problem #7[/B](Due 9/26 Friday by 8:00 a.m.)
Hydro, who has a mass of 45.1 kg, falls straight down 4.67 m to the water below.
a. If Hydro comes to rest .543 seconds after hitting the water, what was the net force exerted on Hydro over this time?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Looked in the book, read the sections the question pertains to, and am still lost. Any assistance with how to solve this would be appreciated.[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
You can use impulse to solve this.

(4.67/.543) *45.1?

jg871 said:
(4.67/.543) *45.1?
No.

What's the momentum of Hydro as he first touches the water?

Doc Al said:
No.

What's the momentum of Hydro as he first touches the water?
4.67/.543 so 8.60?

jg871 said:
4.67/.543 so 8.60?
M/s

jg871 said:
4.67/.543 so 8.60?
Don't just give numbers--show how you used the basic formulas.

In any case, no. Answer this: If something falls a distance X, how fast is it going at that point?

Doc Al said:

In any case, no. Answer this: If something falls a distance X, how fast is it going at that point?
Acceleration of gravity correct?

jg871 said:
Acceleration of gravity correct?
The acceleration of a falling object is g, the acceleration due to gravity. But what's the speed of the object after it falls?

Doc Al said:
The acceleration of a falling object is g, the acceleration due to gravity. But what's the speed of the object after it falls?
I'm struggling mightily.

jg871 said:
I'm struggling mightily.
jg871 said:
I'm struggling mightily.
jg871 said:
I'm struggling mightily.
What may seem obvious is just not registering for me here

Doc Al said:

Doc Al said:

speed = distance / time
so
4.67m / 0.543s
but how do you get the acceleration from that?

Last edited:
jg871 said:

Homework Statement

Problem #7[/B](Due 9/26 Friday by 8:00 a.m.)
Hydro, who has a mass of 45.1 kg, falls straight down 4.67 m to the water below.
a. If Hydro comes to rest .543 seconds after hitting the water, what was the net force exerted on Hydro over this time?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Looked in the book, read the sections the question pertains to, and am still lost. Any assistance with how to solve this would be appreciated.[/B]
I'm also working on this question for homework.
For the velocity vs. time graph, does your constant negative line start at some velocity above zero and stop at zero? Or does it go past zero into a negative, or does it start at zero and go down?
Wasn't very good at drawing these for the test either...

Ering said:
speed = distance / time
so
4.67m / 0.543s
Divide by time again

Ering said:
I'm also working on this question for homework.
For the velocity vs. time graph, does your constant negative line start at some velocity above zero and stop at zero? Or does it go past zero into a negative, or does it start at zero and go down?
Wasn't very good at drawing these for the test either...
I wasn't either. Go to umd? I believe it goes into a negative but I'm confused with the class so far

Ering said:
speed = distance / time
That will give you average speed.

Ering said:
so
4.67m / 0.543s
You are dividing the distance it falls (before it hits the water) by the time it takes to come to rest (after it hits the water). That won't help.

Separate this problem into two parts: (1) How fast is it moving when it hits the water? (2) What net force does it have after it hits the water and is slowing down?

Solve each part separately.

Ering said:
The acceleration due to gravity is a constant. Look it up! (It's usually called g.)

Related to What is the net force on Hydro in Problem #7 of the Net Force Homework?

1. What is net force?

Net force is the overall force acting on an object, taking into consideration the magnitude and direction of all individual forces acting on it.

2. How is net force calculated?

Net force is calculated by adding together all the individual forces acting on an object in a given direction. If the forces are acting in the same direction, they are added together. If they are acting in opposite directions, they are subtracted.

3. What is the relationship between net force and acceleration?

According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, net force is directly proportional to acceleration. This means that an increase in net force will result in an increase in acceleration, and a decrease in net force will result in a decrease in acceleration.

4. How does net force affect an object's motion?

If the net force acting on an object is zero, the object will remain in a state of rest or constant motion. If the net force is not equal to zero, the object will experience a change in motion, either by accelerating or decelerating.

5. Can net force be negative?

Yes, net force can be negative. This indicates that the forces acting on an object are in opposite directions, resulting in a net force with a negative value. However, the direction of the force is what ultimately determines the direction of the object's motion.