Finding New Rate of Rotation for a Student on a Rotating Platform with Dumbbells

In summary, a student on a rotating platform with two dumbbells initially at a distance of 65 cm from his central axis, is given a push and begins rotating at 0.95 rev/s. The student then pulls the dumbbells closer to his chest at a distance of 22 cm each, with a mass of 5.00 kg and a rotational inertia of 7.40 kg · m2. The arms are modeled as uniform rods with a mass of 3.00 kg and a length of 65 cm, then reduced to 22 cm. The question asks for the new rate of rotation.
chess10771

Homework Statement

A student stands on a platform that is free to rotate and holds two dumbbells, each at a distance of 65 cm from his central axis. Another student gives him a push and starts the system of student, dumbbells, and platform rotating at 0.95 rev/s. The student on the platform then pulls the dumbbells in close to his chest so that they are each 22 cm from his central axis. Each dumbbell has a mass of 5.00 kg and the rotational inertia of the student, platform, and dumbbells is initially 7.40 kg · m2. Model each arm as a uniform rod of mass 3.00 kg with one end at the central axis; the length of the arm is initially 65 cm and then is reduced to 22 cm. What is his new rate of rotation?

Homework Equations

Newtons 2nd law?

The Attempt at a Solution

Not really sure how to go about solving, Please show all work if possible, thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd guess you're in a freshman physics class this semester, probably about Chapter 8, +/- 1 Chapter. So, what are you studying that looks anything like this? Skim through the text and look for a picture or diagram that suggests anything close to this.

I would approach this problem by first identifying the relevant equations and principles that can be applied. In this case, the relevant concepts are rotational motion and conservation of angular momentum.

The initial rate of rotation, or angular velocity, of the system can be calculated using the formula ω = v/r, where ω is the angular velocity, v is the linear velocity, and r is the distance from the central axis. In this case, the initial angular velocity can be calculated as 0.95 rev/s = 6.0 m/s / 0.65 m.

Next, we can use the principle of conservation of angular momentum to calculate the new rate of rotation. This principle states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant unless acted upon by an external torque. In this case, the initial angular momentum of the system is equal to the final angular momentum, since there is no external torque acting on the system.

The initial angular momentum can be calculated as Iω, where I is the rotational inertia and ω is the angular velocity. Substituting the given values, we get an initial angular momentum of 7.40 kg · m^2 * 0.95 rev/s = 7.03 kg · m^2/s.

To find the final angular momentum, we need to use the equation L = Iω, where L is the angular momentum, I is the rotational inertia, and ω is the final angular velocity. Since the rotational inertia has changed due to the student pulling the dumbbells closer to his chest, we need to calculate the new rotational inertia. This can be done by using the parallel axis theorem, which states that the rotational inertia of a body about an axis parallel to its center of mass is equal to the rotational inertia about the center of mass plus the mass of the body times the square of the distance between the two axes.

Applying this to our problem, the new rotational inertia can be calculated as I' = I + md^2, where I is the initial rotational inertia, m is the mass of the dumbbell (5.00 kg), and d is the distance between the initial and final positions of the dumbbell (43 cm). Substituting the values, we get I' = 7.40 kg · m^2 + (5.00 kg)(0.43 m)^2 = 7.93 kg · m^2.

Now, we can use the conservation

FAQ: Finding New Rate of Rotation for a Student on a Rotating Platform with Dumbbells

1. What is the rate of rotation?

The rate of rotation is the measure of how quickly an object spins or rotates around an axis. It is typically measured in revolutions per minute (RPM) or degrees per second.

2. How is the rate of rotation determined?

The rate of rotation can be determined by dividing the total angle of rotation by the time it takes to complete that rotation. This can be measured using a stopwatch or more advanced equipment such as a tachometer or gyroscope.

3. What factors affect the rate of rotation?

The rate of rotation can be affected by several factors, including the mass and shape of the object, the force or torque applied to it, and any external forces such as friction or air resistance.

4. How does the rate of rotation impact an object's stability?

The rate of rotation can impact an object's stability by affecting its center of mass. If an object is rotating too quickly or unevenly, its center of mass may shift, causing it to become unstable and potentially fall or topple over.

5. How is the rate of rotation used in various fields of science?

The rate of rotation is used in a variety of fields such as physics, engineering, and astronomy. In physics, it is used to study rotational motion and calculate the amount of work and energy involved. In engineering, it is used to design and analyze rotating machinery. In astronomy, it is used to measure the rotational speed of planets and stars.