Question regarding finding velocity give force and mass

In summary, the conversation discusses how to model a person's velocity after jumping on Earth. The main question is whether it is possible to find the velocity without knowing the time variable. Suggestions include using the impulse theorem or estimating the distance the person's center of gravity is raised. The conversation also mentions considering constant force or constant power in the model.
jcruise322
Hi,

First time posting here! I have a fairly simple question...but anyway, imagine that a person on planet Earth jumps exerting an extra X # of Newtons on the surface (uniform force). How would I go about modeling the person's velocity at any time t? Obviously, Vf=Vo+a*t...Instinctively, I would apply the impulse theorem F*Δt=m*Δv to find the velocity immediately after the jump (Vo), but that requires the amount of time that the person's legs are in contact with the ground. Is this possible to do without the time variable? Are there any other ways to do this problem? Maybe make Δt=(Vf-Vo)/a? The net force would just be the extra force generated by the jump (right?), so I could find the acceleration fairly easily that way, and Vo, to the best of my understanding, would be zero.
I have to find Vo, and I don't see any other way.
In any case, thanks for your time, and I would appreciate any input!

JT

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi JT:

I have a suggestion, but I am not sure it is helpful.

Instead of of dealing with the time Δt the force is being applied, perhaps you can estimate the distance Δd the center of gravity of the jumper is raised. Then the jumper is gaining kinetic energy f*Δd = (1/2)*m*v2.

Good luck.

Regards,
Buzz

Likes jcruise322
If you wish to assume constant force, Buzz Bloom's method works. But reality might be more like constant power.

Likes jcruise322
Awesome! Appreciate the responses, guys!

1. How do you calculate velocity given force and mass?

To calculate velocity, you can use the formula v = F/m, where v is velocity, F is force, and m is mass. Simply divide the force by the mass to find the velocity.

2. What units are used to measure velocity, force, and mass?

Velocity is typically measured in meters per second (m/s), force is measured in newtons (N), and mass is measured in kilograms (kg). However, other units may also be used depending on the specific situation and system of measurement.

3. Can velocity be negative when using this formula?

Yes, velocity can be negative when using this formula. A negative velocity indicates that the object is moving in the opposite direction of the force being applied.

4. How does changing the force affect the velocity?

If the mass remains constant, increasing the force will result in an increase in velocity. This is because a greater force will accelerate the object more, causing it to move faster.

5. Is this formula applicable to all situations?

No, this formula is specifically for calculating velocity in situations where a constant force is applied to an object with a constant mass. In more complex situations, other formulas and principles may need to be used to calculate velocity.