Question regarding simple harmonic motion

In summary, Simple harmonic motion (SHM) is a type of periodic motion in which the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement of the object from its equilibrium position. Some common examples of SHM include the motion of a pendulum, a mass attached to a spring, and the vibrations of a guitar string. This relationship is also described by Hooke's law, which states that the force acting on an object is directly proportional to its displacement. The equation for calculating the period of SHM is T = 2π√(m/k), where T is the period, m is the mass of the object, and k is the spring constant. The frequency of SHM is not affected by the amplitude, meaning that the period
Sanosuke Sagara
I have my solution and my doubt in the attachment that followed.

Attachments

• Doc 1.doc
    20 KB · Views: 375
Physics news on Phys.org
Sanosuke Sagara said:
I have my solution and my doubt in the attachment that followed.
Your solution is right. But the equation of motion might be easier to use if you chose the sin instead of cos:

[tex] y = 3sin(\pi t - \pi/2)[/tex]

This is because at t = 0, the mass is at maximum negative amplitude ([itex]\theta = -\pi/2[/itex])

So:

[tex]d = y-y_0 = 3sin(\pi t - \pi/2) - 3sin(-\pi/2) = 3sin(\pi t - \pi/2) + 3[/tex]

For 1), where t = 1 sec., d = 3 +3 = 6
For 2), where t = .75 sec,[itex]d = 3sin(\pi/4) + 3 = 5.12[/itex]

AM

Thank you for sharing your solution and doubt regarding simple harmonic motion. From your attachment, it seems like you have correctly solved for the period and frequency of the motion using the given parameters. However, I can understand your doubt about the amplitude of the motion.

In simple harmonic motion, the amplitude is the maximum displacement from the equilibrium position. It is a constant value and does not change during the motion. This means that the amplitude should be the same for all points on the graph, including the starting point. Therefore, the amplitude should not be different for the starting point and the maximum displacement point.

One possible explanation for the difference in amplitude could be a calculation error. I would suggest double-checking your calculations to ensure that you have not made any mistakes. Another possibility could be that the graph is not accurately drawn, and the starting point may not be at the correct position. In this case, it would be helpful to refer to the given parameters and equations to confirm the starting point.

I hope this helps clarify your doubt. Keep up the good work in understanding and solving problems related to simple harmonic motion. Let me know if you have any further questions or concerns. Best of luck!

Related to Question regarding simple harmonic motion

1. What is simple harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion (SHM) is a type of periodic motion in which the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement of the object from its equilibrium position. This means that the object will oscillate back and forth around its equilibrium point with a constant frequency and amplitude.

2. What are some real-life examples of simple harmonic motion?

Some common examples of simple harmonic motion include the motion of a pendulum, a mass attached to a spring, and the vibrations of a guitar string.

3. How is simple harmonic motion related to Hooke's law?

Hooke's law states that the force required to stretch or compress a spring is directly proportional to the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position. This is the same relationship that describes simple harmonic motion, as the force acting on an object in SHM is directly proportional to its displacement from equilibrium.

4. What is the equation for calculating the period of simple harmonic motion?

The equation for calculating the period of simple harmonic motion is T = 2π√(m/k), where T is the period, m is the mass of the object, and k is the spring constant.

5. How does amplitude affect the frequency of simple harmonic motion?

The frequency of simple harmonic motion is not affected by the amplitude. This means that the period and frequency of SHM will remain constant regardless of the amplitude of the oscillation.