Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Questionable Question about Photons and Waves

1. Mar 23, 2012 #1
    If a photon is a particle moving like a wave, and the color we see when viewing a stream of photons is determined by their frequency, then how many oscillations of a wave constitute a single photon?

When an experiment speaks of shooting “a single photon” at a target, exactly “how much wave-form” is it speaking of? One complete oscillation?

Or am I thinking of this all wrong, making the question invalid?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2012 #2

Hi!

I think that the words are misleading: when one talks about waves or particles simply refer to particular pictures that he has in mind: they are just a way to imagine the process; what actually make sense are just the observations and the measurements. As far as I can see, there is no way to give meaning to the expression "particle moving like a wave", unless you mean something specific which I don't understand. "When an experiment speaks of shooting “a single photon” at a target" this just simply means that we can interpretate the whole thing as a photon doing something during an experiment: it is just a useful way to see the physical processes you are considering.
    Indeed, one of the "postulata" of atomic physics "pre-quantum mechanics" is just that every phenomenon can be interpretated both in terms of particles and in terms of waves (the keywords are "interpretated" and "both"); for example, let's analyze briefly the usual one-slit diffraction experience: we have a thing (conventionally called "light") produced in a given experimental way; the result of the experiment is a sequence of images conventionally called "diffraction pattern"; possible interpretation:
    1) wave interpretation: the thing called "light" can be seen as a wave, in the sense that if we make the hypothesis that the light is a wave then we observe the thing called "diffraction pattern"
    2)particle interprestation: the thing called "light" can be imagined to be composed of particles and these particles interact in some way with the experimental apparatus in such a way to form the diffraction pattern.

Notice that this duality is one way to derive the Heisenberg uncertainty relations.
    Best,
    Francesco

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook