1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quick question antiderivative of e^x^2

1. Jul 24, 2006 #1
    my retarded textbook has this question i need the antiderivate of e^xsquared

and i hav no idea. thanks

ps. should this be in the calculus forum?

i dont really know what calc is?

Last edited: Jul 24, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 24, 2006 #2

benorin

Homework Helper

The antiderivative of [tex]e^{x^2}[/tex] cannot be expressed using a finite number of elementary functions, however one may use power series to arrive some sort of an answer, as in:

[tex]\int e^{x^2}dx = \int \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{x^{2n}}{n!} dx = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{x^{2n+1}}{(2n+1)n!}+C[/tex]​

hence [tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{x^{2n+1}}{(2n+1)n!}+C[/tex] is the most general antiderivative of [tex]e^{x^2}[/tex].

Re: P.S.: If you are asking about anything involving limiting processes such as limits, derivatives, antiderivatives (a.k.a. integrals), etc., that would be calculus (excepting perhaps so-called "end-behavior" of functions which arise in some precalc courses). Hence your question about an antiderivative should indeed be posted in the calculus forum.

4. Jul 24, 2006 #3
    ok geeez thanks! i didnt think it would be that.. complex , hehe thanks! and now i know what calculus is

5. Jul 24, 2006 #4
    Also, be careful with exponential notation. e^x^2 is ambiguous because exponentiation is not associative. It could mean

[tex]e^{x^2}[/tex]

OR

[tex](e^x)^2[/tex],

which are completely different.

6. Jul 24, 2006 #5

VietDao29

Homework Helper

Unlike other operations, exponents are evaluated from Right to Left. i.e, if one writes [tex]a ^ {b ^ c}[/tex], it can be taken for granted that it's the same as writing: [tex]a ^ {\left( b ^ c \right)}[/tex]
    Other wise, it should be written:
    [tex]{\left( a ^ b \right)} ^ c[/tex]
    See Special Cases in Order of Operations. :)

7. Jul 24, 2006 #6

benorin

Homework Helper

yet the terminology e^xsquared was clear, no?

8. Jul 25, 2006 #7

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No. Considering how you asked the question, I would have assumed you meant:

[tex]\int{(e^x)^2}dx[/tex]

which can be solved by u-substitution.

9. Sep 29, 2009 #8
    if you are referring to this question, think really hard back to indices laws x^2*x^3=x^5 ( when you multiply you add ) (e^x)^2 =(e^x)(e^x)=(e^2x)

Anti D = (1/k)*(e^2x)+c ( note 2 is K )
    (1/2)*(e^2x)+c

Last edited: Sep 29, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?