Quick question antiderivative of e^x^2

In summary, the textbook has a problem with the antiderivative of e^{x^2}. The textbook uses power series to try to find the antiderivative, but the series is not associative. The most general antiderivative of e^{x^2} is found by summing the series for all n.
meee
my retarded textbook has this question i need the antiderivate of e^xsquared

and i hav no idea. thanks

ps. should this be in the calculus forum?

i don't really know what calc is?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The antiderivative of [tex]e^{x^2}[/tex] cannot be expressed using a finite number of elementary functions, however one may use power series to arrive some sort of an answer, as in:

[tex]\int e^{x^2}dx = \int \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{x^{2n}}{n!} dx = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{x^{2n+1}}{(2n+1)n!}+C[/tex]​

hence [tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{x^{2n+1}}{(2n+1)n!}+C[/tex] is the most general antiderivative of [tex]e^{x^2}[/tex].

Re: P.S.: If you are asking about anything involving limiting processes such as limits, derivatives, antiderivatives (a.k.a. integrals), etc., that would be calculus (excepting perhaps so-called "end-behavior" of functions which arise in some precalc courses). Hence your question about an antiderivative should indeed be posted in the calculus forum.

ok geeez thanks! i didnt think it would be that.. complex , hehe thanks! and now i know what calculus is

Also, be careful with exponential notation. e^x^2 is ambiguous because exponentiation is not associative. It could mean

[tex]e^{x^2}[/tex]

OR

[tex](e^x)^2[/tex],

which are completely different.

Data said:
Also, be careful with exponential notation. e^x^2 is ambiguous because exponentiation is not associative. It could mean

[tex]e^{x^2}[/tex]

OR

[tex](e^x)^2[/tex],

which are completely different.
Unlike other operations, exponents are evaluated from Right to Left. i.e, if one writes [tex]a ^ {b ^ c}[/tex], it can be taken for granted that it's the same as writing: [tex]a ^ {\left( b ^ c \right)}[/tex]
Other wise, it should be written:
[tex]{\left( a ^ b \right)} ^ c[/tex]
See Special Cases in Order of Operations. :)

yet the terminology e^xsquared was clear, no?

benorin said:
yet the terminology e^xsquared was clear, no?
No. Considering how you asked the question, I would have assumed you meant:

[tex]\int{(e^x)^2}dx[/tex]

which can be solved by u-substitution.

BobG said:
No. Considering how you asked the question, I would have assumed you meant:

[tex]\int{(e^x)^2}dx[/tex]

which can be solved by u-substitution.

if you are referring to this question, think really hard back to indices laws x^2*x^3=x^5 ( when you multiply you add ) (e^x)^2 =(e^x)(e^x)=(e^2x)

Anti D = (1/k)*(e^2x)+c ( note 2 is K )
(1/2)*(e^2x)+c

Last edited:

1. What is an antiderivative?

An antiderivative is the reverse operation of differentiation. It is a function that, when differentiated, gives the original function.

2. What is the antiderivative of e^x^2?

The antiderivative of e^x^2 is not expressible in terms of elementary functions. It is a special function called the error function, denoted as erf(x).

3. How do you find the antiderivative of e^x^2?

You can use integration techniques such as substitution or integration by parts to find the antiderivative of e^x^2. However, as mentioned before, it cannot be expressed in terms of elementary functions.

4. What are the applications of the antiderivative of e^x^2?

The antiderivative of e^x^2 has various applications in statistics, physics, and engineering. It is used in solving problems related to probability, heat transfer, and electric fields.

5. Can you provide an example of the antiderivative of e^x^2?

One example of the antiderivative of e^x^2 is ∫e^x^2 dx = √(π/2) * erf(x) + C, where C is a constant and erf(x) is the error function.