Solving a Complex Integral with Partial Fractions

In summary: A}{u}+\frac{B}{u+1}+\frac{C}{u-1}I know that, but then what do I do, I have to get a common denominator, which is u(u+1)(u-1) , but then what?I know that, but then what do I do, I have to get a common denominator, which is u(u+1)(u-1) , but then what?Multiply both sides by u(u+1)(u-1) so that the left side is 1. Simpl
laker88116
[tex] \int \frac {1}{x\sqrt{4x+1}}dx[/tex]

Here's what I have done so far on this problem

I let [tex] u= \sqrt{4x+1} [/tex], so then [tex] u^2=4x+1 [/tex], [tex] du= \frac {2dx}{u} [/tex] and [tex] x= \frac {u^2-1}{4} [/tex]

Substituting, I get [tex] \int \frac {1}{(\frac{u^2-1}{4})u}du [/tex]

Then moving stuff around, I get [tex] 4 \int \frac {du}{u(u+1)(u-1)} [/tex]

I know I have to use partial fractions. But I am not sure where to start. Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
laker88116 said:

I let [tex] u= \sqrt{4x+1} [/tex], so then [tex] u^2=4x+1 [/tex], [tex] du= \frac {2dx}{u} [/tex] and [tex] x= \frac {u^2-1}{4} [/tex]

I know I have to use partial fractions. But I am not sure where to start. Any help is appreciated.

[tex]\frac{1}{u(u+1)(u-1)}=\frac{A}{u}+\frac{B}{u+1}+\frac{C}{u-1}[/tex]

I know that, but then what do I do, I have to get a common denominator, which is [tex] u(u+1)(u-1) [/tex], but then what?

laker88116 said:
I know that, but then what do I do, I have to get a common denominator, which is [tex] u(u+1)(u-1) [/tex], but then what?

Multiply both sides by u(u+1)(u-1) so that the left side is 1. Simplify to get A, B, and C.

Ok, I get A=-1, b=1/2, c=1/2, is that right?

laker88116 said:
Ok, I get A=-1, b=1/2, c=1/2, is that right?

Looks good.

Ok, I think I got it. Thanks.

laker88116 said:

Just a little bit missed out. When substituting into the integrand written in terms of x, you forgot to replace the dx with (u/2)du.

[tex]\mbox{let}\ u= \sqrt{4x+1}\ \mbox{, so then}\ u^2=4x+1\ \mbox{,}\ du= \frac {2dx}{u}\ \rightarrow dx = \frac{u}{2}\ du \mbox{, and}\ x= \frac {u^2-1}{4} [/tex]

Substituting gives [tex]\int \frac {1}{x\sqrt{4x+1}}dx = \int \frac {1}{(\frac{u^2-1}{4})u}.\frac{u}{2}\ du = \int \frac{2}{u^2 - 1}\ du[/tex]

Now you can do the partial fractions bit.

1. What are partial fractions?

Partial fractions are a method used in calculus to break down a complex rational function into simpler fractions.

2. Why do we use partial fractions to solve integrals?

Partial fractions make it easier to evaluate integrals by breaking down the integrand into simpler terms that are easier to integrate.

3. How do you know when to use partial fractions to solve an integral?

Partial fractions are used when the integrand is a rational function (a fraction with polynomials in the numerator and denominator) and the degree of the numerator is less than the degree of the denominator.

4. What is the process for solving a complex integral with partial fractions?

The process involves breaking down the rational function into partial fractions, finding the coefficients of each term, and then integrating each term separately.

5. Can all integrals be solved using partial fractions?

No, not all integrals can be solved using partial fractions. They can only be used for rational functions where the degree of the numerator is less than the degree of the denominator. Other methods, such as u-substitution or integration by parts, may be needed for more complex integrals.