Quick vector calc question need verifying

• Thread starter HmBe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary, vector calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the differentiation and integration of vector fields, which represent physical quantities with both magnitude and direction. To differentiate a vector field, partial derivatives are taken for each component with respect to each variable. The difference between a gradient and a divergence is that a gradient is a vector field representing the rate of change of a scalar function, while a divergence is a scalar field representing the "spreading out" or "squeezing together" of a vector field. Vector calculus has various real-life applications in physics, engineering, and economics, such as modeling fluid flow, electromagnetism, and optimizing production processes.
HmBe

Homework Statement

flow.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For the acceleration I got du/dt=0, and the rest ends up equalling (-3x)i + (-3y)j, so this is the acceleration.

A mate of mine got something slightly different, but I'm pretty sure mine is right - can anyone confirm this?

Cheers.

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone?

Related to Quick vector calc question need verifying

1. What is vector calculus?

Vector calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the differentiation and integration of vector fields, which are quantities that have both magnitude and direction. It is used to model physical phenomena such as motion, fluid flow, and electromagnetism.

2. What is a vector field?

A vector field is a mathematical function that assigns a vector to every point in a given space. The vector represents a physical quantity, such as force or velocity, and its direction and magnitude describe the behavior of that quantity at each point in the space.

3. How do you differentiate a vector field?

To differentiate a vector field, you need to take the partial derivatives of each component of the vector with respect to each variable in the space. This results in a new vector field that represents the rate of change of the original vector field at each point.

4. What is the difference between a gradient and a divergence?

A gradient is a vector field that points in the direction of maximum increase of a scalar function. It represents the rate of change of the scalar function in a particular direction. Divergence, on the other hand, is a scalar field that represents the magnitude of the "spreading out" or "squeezing together" of a vector field at each point in space.

5. How is vector calculus used in real life applications?

Vector calculus has many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It is used to model and analyze physical phenomena such as fluid flow, electromagnetism, and motion. It is also used in optimization problems, such as finding the shortest path between two points in a network or minimizing cost in production processes.