R. Mallett's Device: Exploring Weak Energy Possibilities

In summary: This is the reason for the violation of the condition on the weak energy in the EM drive.I believe that the stress-energy tensor could be modified by using metamaterials with negative refractive index or by using quantum vacuum fluctuations.In summary, the main issue with the device of R. Mallett is the astronomical energy required for the laser, and the possible vaporization of mirrors and production of particle pairs. The use of a rotating field with a higher phase speed could potentially decrease the required energy, but it is not clear how this could be achieved or what the effects on the spacetime would be. Additionally, modifying the
Marilyn67
TL;DR Summary
Why not increase the phase speed of a rotating field (unlimited) ?
Hello,

I am sorry to raise this old subject concerning the device of R. Mallett, in particular, one is right to quote has violation of the condition on the weak energy which is not respected.
Okay, let's give up this violation of the weak energy condition for now.

In my opinion, the big problem is the energy required for the laser. This energy is astronomical for the strong fields necessary in order to obtain the Lense Thirring effect capable of producing CTC.

The most perfect mirrors would be vaporized, and second-order effects would produce pairs of particles that would reduce the energy of the beam.

So my big question is this:

Couldn't we use a reasonable energy laser, or a rotating field with (magnetic or electrostatic), (a phase speed much higher than that of light (unlimited), like the famous lighthouse rotating (for kids) in the galaxy, to compensate M (E / C²) with ω unlimited, what is technically possible ?

Lense–Thirring precession - Wikipedia

What happens if the speed at the circumference is much higher than the speed of light (phase speed, not information speed, we agree !)

Thank you in advance for your answers.

See you soon

Maryline[Moderator's note: Advertisement edited out.]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello @PeterDonis,

Yes, I have already read this paper, but the thread I am referring to is this:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/the-mallett-time-machine.42834/

My question : would increasing the speed of a rotating field to a speed greater than that of light at the circumference (the phase speed can be unlimited) require "reasonable" energy to produce the same effects ? :

Decrease the astronomical energy required and increase Ꞷ in large proportions, with an identical Lense Thirring effect.

See you soon

Maryline

Marilyn67 said:
would increasing the speed of a rotating field to a speed greater than that of light at the circumference (the phase speed can be unlimited)

First, I'm not sure how you would increase the phase speed this way.

Second, I don't see any dependence of the effect on phase speed (which I would not expect since "phase speed" isn't generally relevant to things like the stress-energy tensor of light anyway) in the paper.

PeterDonis said:
the 2003 Mallett paper [1]

Looking at this paper, I find that its claim that there are closed timelike curves possible with the EFE solution it gives is inconsistent with the math shown in the paper. The claim is made near the end of Section 2 of the paper:

Equation (36) implies that for ##\lambda \ln (\rho / \alpha) > 1## then ##l < 0## so that the curves given by Equation (48) under these conditions are closed and timelike.

Equation (36) is:

$$
l = \rho \alpha - \lambda \rho \alpha \ln (\rho / \alpha)
$$

The ##\alpha## in this equation is the value chosen for the quantity given as ##\xi## earlier in the paper, as stated just before Equation (34). So the possible values for ##\alpha## will depend on the possible values for ##\xi##.

The equations that are relevant for determining the possible values for ##\xi## are Equation (18), which says

$$
\Delta^2 = f l + w^2 = \rho^2
$$

Equation (27), which says

$$
f \xi = w + \rho
$$

And Equations (30) and (31), which together say

$$
\rho = w + \xi l
$$

Equation (27) implies that ##f l = \xi^{-1} l \left( w + \rho \right)##. Substituting this into equation (18) gives

$$
\rho^2 = \xi^{-1} l \left( w + \rho \right) + w^2
$$

Substituting the equation obtained from Equations (30) and (31) for ##\rho## gives

$$
\left( w + \xi l \right)^2 = \xi^{-1} l \left( 2 w + \xi l \right) + w^2
$$

Which, after some algebra, gives

$$
\xi = - \frac{2 w}{l}
$$

Substituting ##w = \rho - \xi l##, derived from the equation above that combines Equations (30) and (31), into the above gives

$$
\xi = \frac{2 \rho}{l}
$$

Substituting this ##\xi## for ##\alpha## in Equation (36), to get an equation expressing the possible range for Equation (36) with all possible values of ##\alpha##, gives

$$
l^2 = 2 \rho^2 \left( 1 - \lambda \ln (l / 2) \right)
$$

It is apparent now that a value larger than ##1## for the logarithm here, which would mean a negative value for the RHS as a whole, is impossible, since it would make ##l^2## negative and hence ##l## imaginary. So this equation is not actually telling us anything physical about the spacetime: it is telling us about the limited range of the coordinates--they cannot cover any region including values of ##l## that would make the RHS of the above equation negative.

Hello @PeterDonis,

Thank you for your very well-argued answers.
I'am sorry for my late response.

I see that you are really an expert when you say that phase speed "isn't generally relevant to things like the stress-energy tensor of light anyway.

To increase the phase velocity, or obtain a superluminal rotating field at the circumference, my idea (stupid) was to connect a cylinder to optical fibers of increasing lengths, shifted by fractions of wavelength and connected to a frequency generator. (optical fibers for light or copper wires for a magnetic field.)

I realize that this idea was really very bad, because there would be no movement but a succession of "fixed" emissions (like a cinematographic tape).

Thanks again.

Maryline

1. What is R. Mallett's Device?

R. Mallett's Device, also known as the "time machine," is a theoretical concept proposed by physicist Ronald Mallett that aims to explore the possibility of time travel using weak energy.

2. How does R. Mallett's Device work?

The device works by using a ring laser to create a circulating beam of light. This beam of light would then create a gravitational field, which according to Einstein's theory of relativity, could potentially cause a twisting of space and time, allowing for time travel.

3. Has R. Mallett's Device been successfully tested?

No, R. Mallett's Device has not been successfully tested yet. It is still a theoretical concept and has not been built or tested in a real-life scenario.

4. What are the potential implications of R. Mallett's Device?

If R. Mallett's Device is successfully built and tested, it could have significant implications for our understanding of time and space. It could also have practical applications, such as sending information or objects back in time.

5. Are there any criticisms or challenges to R. Mallett's Device?

Yes, there are several criticisms and challenges to R. Mallett's Device, including the fact that it is based on theoretical physics and has not been tested, the potential for paradoxes and ethical concerns about altering the past, and the immense amount of energy that would be required to power the device.