Radial Distribution Function graph

In summary, the maximum electron density for the 1s and 2s orbitals for the Radial Distribution Function is different for every atom.
José Ricardo

Homework Statement

Use a (simplified) graph to compare the maximum probability (electron density) of the Radial Distribution Function for the 1s and 2s orbitals.

Homework Equations

xxx

The Attempt at a Solution

H_and_He_orbitals.gif

The rest I don't how to solve.[/B]

Attachments

• H_and_He_orbitals.gif
    H_and_He_orbitals.gif
    4.2 KB · Views: 7,099
Physics news on Phys.org
Just look at the plot - which function has a higher maximum electron density?

Likes José Ricardo
Borek said:
Just look at the plot - which function has a higher maximum electron density?

The Helium?

No.

You need to compare plots for the same atom, not for different atoms.

Likes José Ricardo
Borek said:
No.

You need to compare plots for the same atom, not for different atoms.

Ahhh... I think the hydrogen has more density for in the 1s level.

Am I correct now, professor?

I had this class, but my professor doesn't explain good. I learn more with videoclasses on Youtube than with him.

José Ricardo said:
Am I correct now, professor?

Don't professor me.

Yes, in _every_ atom 1s orbital has a higher maximum electron density. Note: it is important to be precise, "higher maximum density" means something else than "more density".

Likes baldbrain
Good mornig, Borek!
So, The data that my professor gave was:
En = -2,18 x 10-18 x (1/n²) x Z² Joules, where En is the energy from the n level, Z = atomic number.

b43d0ea3c9c025af1be9128e62a18fa74bedda2a
.v = c; Efoton = h.v; h = 6,626 x 10-34 J s; c = 3,00 x 108 m s -1;
Spectrum in the visible: 400 to 700nm

I don't know how to do this question with these data.:frown:

José Ricardo said:
Good mornig, Borek!
So, The data that my professor gave was:
En = -2,18 x 10-18 x (1/n²) x Z² Joules, where En is the energy from the n level, Z = atomic number.

b43d0ea3c9c025af1be9128e62a18fa74bedda2a
.v = c; Efoton = h.v; h = 6,626 x 10-34 J s; c = 3,00 x 108 m s -1;
Spectrum in the visible: 400 to 700nm

I don't know how to do this question with these data.:frown:
I think that this question has been answered. What your professor gave you is relevant to the other thread that you started here
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/diagram-of-energy-levels-of-hydrogen-lines.950966/
Use it there and please try to keep your threads sorted out in your mind.

Likes José Ricardo
Thanks, Kuruman!

1. What is a Radial Distribution Function (RDF) graph?

A Radial Distribution Function (RDF) graph is a plot that shows the probability of finding particles at a certain distance from a reference particle in a given system. It is commonly used in the analysis of molecular dynamics simulations to understand the spatial arrangement of particles in a system.

2. How is an RDF graph calculated?

The RDF graph is calculated by taking the average number of particles at a given distance from a reference particle and normalizing it by the density of the system and the volume of the spherical shell at that distance. This calculation is performed for multiple distances to generate the RDF graph.

3. What information can be obtained from an RDF graph?

An RDF graph can provide information about the structure and interactions of particles in a system. It can reveal the presence of ordering or clustering of particles at certain distances, as well as the presence of peaks and valleys that correspond to specific types of interactions between particles.

4. How can an RDF graph be interpreted?

The peaks in an RDF graph represent the distances at which there is a high probability of finding particles, indicating strong interactions between them. The valleys, on the other hand, represent the distances at which there is a low probability of finding particles, indicating weaker interactions or repulsion between them.

5. What are the limitations of an RDF graph?

An RDF graph is limited in its ability to capture long-range interactions and can only provide information about the average behavior of particles in a system. It may also be affected by the size and shape of the simulation box, as well as the number of particles in the system. Additionally, the interpretation of an RDF graph requires knowledge of the system being studied and may not always be straightforward.