1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Radial flow of charge across cylinder?

1. Nov 2, 2011 #1
    Hi

Please help me understand how charge flows in this case:

There are 2 concentric cylinders, the outer one is hollow but the inner one is solid. The space between them is filled with a material of high resistivity. Now an electric circuit with voltage V is connected to the cylinder's faces. +ve end of the circuit goes into the outer cylinder and -ve end to the inner cylinder. The cylinders themselves have negligible resistance. What will happen in terms of charge flow here?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2011 #2
    Is there any symmetry? Use Gauss law to calculate the electric field.

4. Nov 3, 2011 #3
    I tried using Gauss' Law, but I think there is charge flow from inner to outer cylinder through the resistive medium and Gauss' Law won't work in that case.

I am only given the voltage V of the battery, the resistivity of the in-between material [itex]\rho[/itex], the inner radius r1, outer radius r2, and the length L of the 2 cylinders.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook