Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Radio waves for two way communication?

1. Aug 20, 2014 #1
    Suppose I have a transmitter and receiver and my friend in the next room also has it. Can we both talk with each other with radio waves as we do in cell phone. I know we can't talk if he is several miles apart. But if he is just in the next room, can we communicate?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 20, 2014 #2

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Why not?

4. Aug 20, 2014 #3
    Hi, Govind_Balaji, I will reply by asking a couple of questions :smile::

Yes...

Question 1: How do you think cell phones communicate?
    Question 2: Have you heard about walkie-talkies?

How do you know this? :smile: . If you can communicate or not depends (partly) on the power of the transmitters.

What do you think? :smile:

5. Aug 20, 2014 #4
    I am actually doing a science project for an exhibition. It's tomorrow and I think of substituting cell phone microwaves with radio waves along with some wires and conductors. It's a bit difficult to explain here. I just had a doubt whether it's a flaw. So I just made sure it's complete.

6. Aug 20, 2014 #5

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How were you intending to produce and receive your "Radio Waves"? What will the Science Project be saying and what is the planned audience?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook