Radius of Convergence for a Power Series with Ratio Test

In summary, the ratio test is used to determine the radius of convergence for a series and involves taking the limit of the absolute value of the quotient of successive terms. In this case, the series is put into standard form and a hint is given to let m = 8n + 1. The limits are then considered and it is determined that for very large m, the exponential terms are more important and the limit is equal to 3^-1/8. The radius of convergence is therefore 1/3^1/8.
Saladsamurai

Homework Statement

Determine the radius of Convergence using the ratio test of:

[tex]\sum_o^{\infty}\frac{n^6}{3^n+n}(x+4)^{8n+1}\qquad(1)[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]R = \frac{1}{\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}\left|\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n}\right|}\qquad(2)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok. In order to use (2), we must first put (1) into standard form: [itex]\sum a_n(x - x_o)^n[/itex].

I am following a hint that I should let m = 8n +1 however I am not sure what to do with the summation limits? If m = 8n +1, then at n = 0, m = 1. So do I just run the sum from 1 to [itex]\infty[/itex]? And replace n everywhere with n = (m - 1)/8 ?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand why we can't just consider the convergence of the series:

[tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} a_n[/tex]

with:

[tex]a_n=\frac{n^6}{3^n+n}(x+4)^{8n+1}[/tex]

and using the radio test with:

[tex]\lim_{n\to\infty}\left|\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n}\right|[/tex]

If that's valid, I get:

[tex]R=3^{1/8}[/tex]

Saladsamurai said:

Homework Statement

Determine the radius of Convergence using the ratio test of:

[tex]\sum_o^{\infty}\frac{n^6}{3^n+n}(x+4)^{8n+1}\qquad(1)[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]R = \frac{1}{\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}\left|\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n}\right|}\qquad(2)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok. In order to use (2), we must first put (1) into standard form: [itex]\sum a_n(x - x_o)^n[/itex].

I am following a hint that I should let m = 8n +1 however I am not sure what to do with the summation limits? If m = 8n +1, then at n = 0, m = 1. So do I just run the sum from 1 to [itex]\infty[/itex]? And replace n everywhere with n = (m - 1)/8 ?

Thanks!

This is geting silly:

I have that

[tex]
\frac{a_{m+1}}{a_m} = \left(\frac{m}{8}\right)^6\left(\frac{8}{m-1}\right)^6
\left(\frac{3^{\frac{m-1}{8}}+\frac{m-1}{8}}{3^{m/8}+m/8}\right)
[/tex]

[tex] = \frac{a_{m+1}}{a_m} = \left(\frac{m}{m-1}\right)^6\left(\frac{3^{\frac{m-1}{8}}+\frac{m-1}{8}}{3^{m/8}+m/8}\right)
[/tex]

I cannot see how to reduce this further. Any ideas? I'm lookin' at you jackmell :wink:

jackmell said:
I don't understand why we can't just consider the convergence of the series:

[tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} a_n[/tex]

with:

[tex]a_n=\frac{n^6}{3^n+n}(x+4)^{8n+1}[/tex]

and using the radio test with:

[tex]\lim_{n\to\infty}\left|\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n}\right|[/tex]

If that's valid, I get:

[tex]R=3^{1/8}[/tex]

I'm not entirely sure about that. Also, numerically, looks like the radius of convergence appears to be one over that:

[tex]\frac{1}{3^{1/8}}[/tex]

but I can't seem to get to that value.

Saladsamurai said:
[tex] = \frac{a_{m+1}}{a_m} = \left(\frac{m}{m-1}\right)^6\left(\frac{3^{\frac{m-1}{8}}+\frac{m-1}{8}}{3^{m/8}+m/8}\right)
[/tex]

I cannot see how to reduce this further. Any ideas? I'm lookin' at you jackmell :wink:

We can do that. That first term has a limit of one right (it approaches m/m)^6). Now look at the [itex](m-1)/8[/itex] in the numerator and the [itex]m/8[/itex] in the denominator. Both of those are O(m) but pale in comparison to the other terms having exponential order so for very large m, we can neglect them and just consider:

[tex]\lim_{m\to\infty} \frac{3^{1/8(m-1)}}{3^{m/8}}[/tex] but when we add the exponents we get:

[tex]\frac{m-1}{8}-\frac{m}{8}=-1/8[/tex] so that:

[tex]\lim_{m\to\infty} \frac{3^{1/8(m-1)}}{3^{m/8}}=3^{-1/8}[/tex]

Last edited:
jackmell said:
We can do that. That first term has a limit of one right (it approaches m/m)^6). Now look at the [itex](m-1)/8[/itex] in the numerator and the [itex]m/8[/itex] in the denominator. Both of those are asymptotic to m. But both pale in comparison to the other terms so for very large m, we can neglect them and just consider:

[tex]\lim_{m\to\infty} \frac{3^{1/8(m-1)}}{3^{m/8}}[/tex] but when we add the exponents we get:

[tex]\frac{m-1}{8}-\frac{m}{8}=-1/8[/tex] so that:

[tex]\lim_{m\to\infty} \frac{3^{1/8(m-1)}}{3^{m/8}}=3^{-1/8}[/tex]

Ok great. I follow your qualitative description just fine. Now I woud like to flesh out the details using appropriate limit rules.

We have a limit of a product which equals the product of the limits. The first factor

[tex] \left(\frac{m}{m-1}\right)^6[/tex]

is a rational function of two polynomials of the same order, so its limit is simply the ratio of the coefficients of the leading terms in numerator and denominator: 1/1 = 1.

Now as for the second factor:

[tex]\left(\frac{3^{\frac{m-1}{8}}+\frac{m-1}{8}}{3^{m/8}+m/8}\right)[/tex]

I am trying to pinpoint a nice rule that I can apply to back the statement that the exponentials are 'more important.'

Any ideas? Thanks for your help so far :smile:

It's all a matter of order, or big-O:

[tex]O(3^n)+O(n)\sim O(3^n)[/tex]

That is, for very big n, that sum asymptotically approaches the [itex]3^{n}[/tex] term as the smaller-ordered term becomes less and less significant.

So that:

[tex]\lim_{n\to\infty}\left(\frac{O(3^n)+O(n)}{O(3^{n-1})+O(n)}\right)\sim \frac{O(3^{n})}{O(3^{n-1})}[/tex]

Essentially, as n grows very large, only the highest-ordered terms matter.

I may not have that exactly right but I think it's close.

1. What is the radius of convergence?

The radius of convergence is a concept in mathematics that is used to determine the range of values for which an infinite series will converge. It is denoted by the letter R and is measured in units of length.

2. How is the radius of convergence calculated?

The radius of convergence is calculated using the ratio test, which involves taking the limit of the absolute value of the ratio of consecutive terms in the series. If this limit is less than one, the series will converge and the radius of convergence can be determined.

3. What does the radius of convergence tell us?

The radius of convergence tells us the range of values for which the infinite series will converge. It also provides information about the behavior of the series at the endpoints of the radius, where the series may or may not converge.

4. Can the radius of convergence be negative?

No, the radius of convergence cannot be negative. It is always a positive value, representing the distance from the center of convergence to the nearest point where the series diverges.

5. How is the radius of convergence used in real-world applications?

The radius of convergence is used in many areas of science and engineering, such as in the study of power series, differential equations, and Fourier series. It is also used in the development of mathematical models and simulations to predict the behavior of physical systems.