How Do I Solve Forces in Physics Problems Like 1d and 1e?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to resolve different forces in a physics problem, specifically when dealing with ramps. The problem involves a 4 N force going upwards and an 8 N force going down the ramp. The conversation mentions resolving the 8 N force into components parallel and perpendicular to the ramp in order to calculate the friction force. The conversation also mentions the importance of understanding the x-y axis and provides guidance on how to approach the problem. The person in the conversation is seeking clarification and guidance for an upcoming test.
SS2006
http://img437.imageshack.us/img437/8104/untitled1wi.jpg
in 1 b) i know that the 4 N goes upwards

but in questions like 1 d or e, whta do i do then
for 1 d
1) -mgsin30 is going down, ok
and frictoin is going down, 2) -mgcos30u
ok
and the 8 N, is it 3) (8cos-30, 8sin-30)? if so, that's all good
but i get confused is what do i do with all these terms now
do i add them, 1) 2) 3) , i just wanted to know, the test is in an hour, need help asap :(
thx

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
SS2006 said:
http://img437.imageshack.us/img437/8104/untitled1wi.jpg
in 1 b) i know that the 4 N goes upwards
but in questions like 1 d or e, whta do i do then
for 1 d
1) -mgsin30 is going down, ok
and frictoin is going down, 2) -mgcos30u
ok
and the 8 N, is it 3) (8cos-30, 8sin-30)?
What exactly do you mean by "going down"? What you want to do is resolve the 8 N force into components parallel to and perpendicular to the ramp. The "8N" force will have components 8 cos(30) N up the ramp and
8 sin(30) N into the ramp. You will probably also want to calculate the component of weight into the ramp so you can use the sum of those two forces into the ramp to find the friction force (which is, of course, back down the ramp). The component of weight parallel to the ramp will be back down the ramp and it, along with the friction force, will subtract from the component of the 8 N up the ramp.

if so, that's all good
but i get confused is what do i do with all these terms now
do i add them, 1) 2) 3) , i just wanted to know, the test is in an hour, need help asap :(
thx

Last edited by a moderator:
i mean going dwon the x-y axis
u kow when u write up the ramp as a x-y axis
can you show me the final formula, of just one and how u arrived on the final answer, ill never get it until i see one
got all weekend tho that's good

any help ppl
thanks

I'm not understanding what you are doing. In what questions do you hae problems, and what were your attempts?

1. How do I solve 1d and e in a physics test?

Solving for 1d and e in a physics test involves understanding the equations and concepts related to distance (d) and energy (e). You will need to use relevant equations, such as the formula for kinetic energy (KE = 1/2 mv^2) and the formula for displacement (d = v0t + 1/2at^2), and plug in the given values to solve for the unknown variables. It is also important to pay attention to units and use the correct formulas for the given scenario.

2. What are some common mistakes when solving for 1d and e in a physics test?

Some common mistakes when solving for 1d and e in a physics test include using the wrong formula, not paying attention to units, and making calculation errors. It is important to carefully read and understand the problem, use the correct equations, and double check your calculations to avoid these mistakes.

3. Can you provide some tips for solving 1d and e in a physics test?

Some tips for solving 1d and e in a physics test include: understanding the concepts and equations, practicing with similar problems, paying attention to units, and double checking your work. It can also be helpful to draw diagrams or make a list of the given variables to keep track of the information provided.

4. What are some useful strategies for approaching 1d and e problems in a physics test?

Some useful strategies for approaching 1d and e problems in a physics test include: identifying the given and unknown variables, choosing the appropriate formula, substituting the values given, and solving for the unknown variable. It can also be helpful to break down the problem into smaller steps and check your answer against the given values to ensure it makes sense.

5. How can I improve my understanding of 1d and e in physics?

To improve your understanding of 1d and e in physics, it is important to have a strong foundation in the relevant concepts and equations. You can achieve this by studying and practicing regularly, seeking help from a teacher or tutor, and actively engaging in class and asking questions. It can also be helpful to relate these concepts to real-world situations to better understand their applications.