Random Photos

In summary: I only remember the Canadian part.I took this photo of some Canadian wolves a few weeks ago.In summary, the photo is of Canadian wolves.
Likes Ibix
Physics news on Phys.org
1674413846806.jpeg

• Wow
Likes collinsmark, berkeman and DennisN
1674414634892.jpeg

• Wow
Likes collinsmark, DennisN and gmax137
One of my girlfriends and I out for a ride one day.

1674417285237.png

Likes collinsmark, morrobay and DennisN
Snow on pine needles:

1674432903169.png

Likes collinsmark, BillTre, Ivan Seeking and 2 others
Moss can Spell!

MOSS.jpg

Likes Ivan Seeking, DennisN, Rive and 2 others
pinball1970 said:
One of those bails killed the ELO violinist in a freak accident.
So maybe they've jumped bail and are on the lam.

Hmmm... they were in front of a bank. Note the green TD logos at the left. Maybe they were plotting how to score some getaway money!

• Haha
Likes Ivan Seeking and Borg
A nice picture of little things:

Screenshot 2023-01-23 at 11.50.55 AM.png

Likes Jarvis323, Rive, morrobay and 2 others
jtbell said:
I walked past the site this afternoon, and they're gone now. Just a couple handfuls of hay are left on the sidewalk. They're probably in Georgia by now.

1674523961164.png

Likes hmmm27, collinsmark and morrobay
One of my projects...for the Mossad. I spent an entire summer in the cockpit. And there were always a couple of guys with automatic weapons to keep me company.

1674524414528.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Wow
Likes DennisN and pinball1970
Ivan Seeking said:
One of my projects...for the Mossad. I spent an entire summer in the cockpit. And there were always a couple of guys with automatic weapons to keep me company.

View attachment 320986
Really!?

You guys make such obscure science and maths jokes i can never tell when you are kidding.

jtbell said:

Hmmm... they were in front of a bank. Note the green TD logos at the left. Maybe they were plotting how to score some getaway money!
Spelling. Got it.
That’s good.
I thought you were making a joke about a 62 old man being crushed to death by a 600 KG bale of hay ; )

pinball1970 said:
Really!?

You guys make such obscure science and maths jokes i can never tell when you are kidding.
Really! I get to do some pretty cool stuff. I've worked on two rocket programs as well.

I was also held hostage for 24 hours in Peru... so it can be a mixed bag. :oldbiggrin:

• Wow
Likes pinball1970
The second program was experimental. It was actually testing the concept of rail launch systems [to reduce fuel consumption and weight significantly]. The first launch spun out of control a bit after the launch due to a motor failure. They were planning a second launch when Covid hit.

When this was happening, I was sitting here with a VPN connection to the launch control system in case anything went wrong. No pressure there!!! :bugeye: We had verified everything onsite but I watched the launch from my couch. So cool!!!

Last edited:
Likes pinball1970
Ivan Seeking said:
One of my girlfriends and I out for a ride one day.

View attachment 320923

We were riding in a remote area near Tamarack Springs, Washington, when we came across a grave with a stone marked "White Woman Grave".

1674620139772.png

The Park Service had constructed a simple barrier around the grave to protect it from observers. And you can see the original stone has been placed in a cement frame for protection. But we had no clues as to the story behind the grave.

We were on ATVs, but we ran into a number of people either walking or on bicycles, who were lost. After we ate our lunch and continued on the trail, we too got lost. And I mean REALLY lost! Cell communications dropped out. The "map" we had purchased from the ATV rental only showed a simple trail to follow, and not the hundreds of other trails intersecting our trail. There was no way to know what was what! We were in low, rolling hills, with areas of trees, that seemingly went on forever. We finally managed to get a cell signal and called to have the ATV company come and get us for a modest additional fee of something like $500. Clearly they did this regularly - hence the useless map.

But later I learned the story of the White Woman Grave. I don't recall their names, but a poor fellow and his young, pregnant wife, were traveling through those same hills around 1875, IIRC. They too got lost and roamed the hills for days. Finally, they encountered a native American who directed them to the settlement they sought. They were so excited that they started to run the horses. But the young woman was thrown from her horse. She and the baby died on the spot. Her husband buried her and marked the grave as that of a white woman so grave robbers would leave it alone. They only robbed from native American graves.

Chinese herbs shop & massage friend.
IMG_20230126_100321.jpg
IMG_20230126_100300.jpg
IMG_20230123_200640.jpg

Likes DennisN and Ivan Seeking
Aways South , Na Jomtien. Get out of Dodge
IMG_20230126_141217.jpg
IMG_20230126_142544_1.jpg

Likes Ivan Seeking and DennisN
A GF and I doing I Fly. So fun!!! IFLY has proven to be a fantastic date activity. I've taken 3 women and they all loved it!

Below that, check out what the experts can do.

1674791586331.png

1674791613420.jpeg

• Wow
Likes DennisN, collinsmark, Borg and 2 others
Two of my childhood friends showing off their new stick-shift, five-speed bikes, Christmas day.

1675138213835.png

Likes DennisN, collinsmark, jack action and 2 others
Ivan Seeking said:
Two of my childhood friends showing off their new stick-shift, five-speed bikes, Christmas day.

View attachment 321479
I had the purple one when I was 6 y.o. ... and I still have it! It's a three-speed though.

• Haha
Likes Ivan Seeking
The story of my life. :rolleyes:

1675209553888.jpeg

Likes DennisN and BillTre
Mom and Dad

1675217532729.jpeg

Likes DennisN
Sunrise at the beach (in August last year):

1b.png

(21 stitched photos taken with Canon nFD 50mm f1.4)

2b.png

Last edited:
Likes collinsmark, morrobay and Rive
I'm scanning some old photos from a travel I did in the UK with a friend.
It was around the year 2000, I can't really remember exactly when at the moment.

I remember that journey fondly, we visited a lot of interesting historical places in England, Wales and Scotland. E.g. I particularly remember 1) west Scotland (which was one of the most beautiful places I've seen) and (2) the Orkney Islands which I really liked.

I think the UK is a treasure trove when it comes to historical places; within a not too big area of land there is a lot to see. I will probably post some more photos from this journey here later.

(I notify @pinball1970 and @Astranut of the UK too :smile:)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No, this is not Venice. It's the Bridge of Sighs in Cambridge.
(and I now saw there was someone that saluted me in the front gondola :smile:)

Cambridge 2 - Bridge of Sighs-m1.png

I remember I really enjoyed Cambridge, it was quite a cosy place.

A nice street in Cambridge:
Cambridge 2 - Street 1-m1.png

(a bit weird colors here though, I have to fiddle a bit with color correction of the scans, I think)

St John's College:
Cambridge 3 - St John's College-m1.png

(a bit weird colors here too)

Cambridge and St John's College chapel from somewhere higher up:
Cambridge 1 - St John's College Chapel etc.png

I don't remember from where at all. I looked on Google maps, and I might have taken the photo from Castle Mound (Cambridge Castle)). It seems to fit with this photo taken by someone else from Castle Mound.

And here are some rocks I've been told are quite famous:
Stonehenge 1a.png

I remember that it was quite fun when we arrived at Stonehenge.
We had rented a car and I was driving in the right seat in left-hand traffic for the first time, which I remember was a bit unsettling. When we arrived in the vicinity of Stonehenge it was pitch-black, and
we drove around trying to find the monument. After a while we gave up and just parked the car beside a small country road.

We decided to look for Stonehenge in the morning instead, and we then slept in the car.

When I woke up I took a look outside the right window of the car and saw a beautiful view of Stonehenge in the morning about 200 meters away :smile:.

Another view of Stonehenge from a bit of distance:
Stonehenge 1b.png

A sunset somewhere in south Wales:
Wales - Sunset - m1.png

Last edited:
  • Love
Likes Astranut, Ivan Seeking, morrobay and 5 others
DennisN said:
I'm scanning some old photos from a travel I did in the UK with a friend.
It was around the year 2000, I can't really remember exactly when at the moment.

I remember that journey fondly, we visited a lot of interesting historical places in England, Wales and Scotland. E.g. I particularly remember 1) west Scotland (which was one of the most beautiful places I've seen) and (2) the Orkney Islands which I really liked.

I think the UK is a treasure trove when it comes to historical places; within a not too big area of land there is a lot to see. I will probably post some more photos from this journey here later.

(I notify @pinball1970 and @Astranut of the UK too :smile:)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No, this is not Venice. It's the Bridge of Sighs in Cambridge.
(and I now saw there is someone that saluted me in the front gondola :smile:)

View attachment 321534

I remember I really enjoyed Cambridge, it was quite a cosy place.

A nice street in Cambridge:
View attachment 321535
(a bit weird colors here though, I have to fiddle a bit with color correction of the scans, I think)

St John's College:
View attachment 321536
(a bit weird colors here too)

View attachment 321537

I don't remember from where at all. I looked on Google maps, and I might have taken the photo from Castle Mound (Cambridge Castle)). It seems to fit with this photo taken by someone else from Castle Mound.

And here are some rocks I've been told are quite famous:
View attachment 321538

I remember that it was quite fun when we arrived at Stonehenge.
We had rented a car and I was driving in the right seat in right-hand traffic for the first time, which I remember was a bit unsettling. When we arrived in the vicinity of Stonehenge it was pitch-black, and
we drove around trying to find the monument. After a while we gave up and just parked the car beside a small country road.

We decided to look for Stonhenge in the morning instead, and we then slept in the car.

When I woke up I took a look outside the right window of the car and saw a beautiful view of Stonehenge in the morning about 200 meters away :smile:.

Another view of Stonehenge from a bit of distance:
View attachment 321539

A sunset somewhere in south Wales:
View attachment 321540
All beautiful places.

Everyone in England should make an effort to go and see what is essentially on their own door step, especially city people.
I have never been to Stone Henge, this is one for my bucket list.
You have been much further north than me also! Aviemore from memory.
I did a gig in the lakes two weeks ago and all the hills were covered with snow as we approached the venue in Cockermouth, stunning.
I will see if Astranut has anything he can post, he tends to stay fairly local with bird watching and photography.

Likes epenguin and DennisN
pinball1970 said:
I have never been to Stone Henge, this is one for my bucket list.
Believe it or not, it was not the oldest place we visited (considering the rocks themselves, that is). :smile:

Wikipedia said:
Archaeologists believe that Stonehenge was constructed from around 3000 BC to 2000 BC. The surrounding circular earth bank and ditch, which constitute the earliest phase of the monument, have been dated to about 3100 BC. Radiocarbon dating suggests that the first bluestones were raised between 2400 and 2200 BC although they may have been at the site as early as 3000 BC.

We went to Orkney Islands mainly beacuse we wanted to see the small Neolithic village Skara Brae;

Wikipedia said:
The site [Skara Brae] was occupied from roughly 3180 BC to about 2500 BC and is Europe's most complete Neolithic village. Skara Brae gained UNESCO World Heritage Site status as one of four sites making up "The Heart of Neolithic Orkney". Older than Stonehenge and the Great Pyramids of Giza, it has been called the "Scottish Pompeii" because of its excellent preservation.

We visited Skara Brae on a very nice morning with beautiful weather. And we were all alone at the site :smile:. It must be the oldest place I've ever visited.

We also visited the Ring of Brodgar. I remember being very surprised at the dialect on Orkney. To me it sounded like Scandinavians speaking English. But they have a close historical connection to Scandinavia, if I remember correctly (edit: yes, Norwegian Vikings ruled the islands once).
I will post more photos later.

pinball1970 said:
You have been much further north than me also! Aviemore from memory.
In Scotland we went to Loch Ness, Eilan Donan (a gorgeous place!) and we thought about going over to Isle of Skye, which we had heard good things about. But we skipped Isle of Skye since we were a little short of time so we had to prioritize. I remember when we were driving back to Edinburgh we passed Fort William, and I remember that I thought the surroundings there were stunning (actually, there were many places in west Scotland I thought were stunning!). But we were short on time so regretfully we did not stop there. I've often thought of going back to that place sometime.

pinball1970 said:
I will see if Astranut has anything he can post, he tends to stay fairly local with bird watching and photography.
That sounds good :smile:.

Last edited:
Likes Astranut and pinball1970
DennisN said:
Sunrise at the beach (in August last year):

View attachment 321529

View attachment 321530

Nice! :smile:

Btw, @DennisN , which stitching program are you using? I'm looking around for a new one; preferably one that can do 360 deg panoramas.

Likes DennisN
DennisN said:
cambridge-1-st-johns-college-chapel-etc-png.png

The tower is Great St Mary's, and the long building to the right with the spikes is Kings College Chapel, with the dome on St John's just to the right of it. I think the grey roof in the foreground must be St Giles' Church. And yes, you either took that from Castle Mound or a helicopter - nowhere else has the elevation for that shot...

• Wow
Likes Ivan Seeking, DennisN and pinball1970
collinsmark said:
Btw, @DennisN , which stitching program are you using?
Kolor Autopano Giga (version 4, I think).

Likes collinsmark
A colorful flower group in late afternoon sunlight:
(from August 2021, I'm currently going through unprocessed old photos)

Colorful Flower Group - m2 (h800).png

Some may ask: why the vivid colors here?

I'd say it's mostly due to the afternoon sunlight coming in sideways from the left
(and the flowers themselves, of course).

And then the lens, probably one of my Canon FD lenses.
And I may have used a CPL filter too, I don't remember. :smile:
And I lowered the gamma correction in Photoshop, which often can give interesting results.
But I didn't do any saturation nor vibrance boost, actually.

Last edited:
Likes collinsmark, Andy Resnick, morrobay and 2 others
In Chicago for a talk:

DSC_7242.JPG

Haven't been here since "The Bean" sculpture was installed, so I made a point of checking it out. It can look very alien, a metallic blob plopped down in the middle of a city:
DSC_7162.JPG

Here's your tour guide:
DSC_7169.JPG

but the really weird optical stuff happens when you walk under it and look up:
DSC_7157.JPG

DSC_7154.JPG

• Wow
  • Love
Likes collinsmark, pinball1970, Rive and 6 others
Andy Resnick said:
In Chicago for a talk
Cool photos!

The first location looks like it could be a nice place for long exposures when it's dark (ca 2+ s).
(I'm thinking of really long light trails from traffic)

I have tried doing a few of those, but I haven't found a particularly good spot yet.

Likes pinball1970
Andy Resnick said:
but the really weird optical stuff happens when you walk under it and look up:
I love the way it looks like you're surrounded by people in that last shot, but then you notice how many of them have a pushchair (I think) with a checked cover.

I raise the flag of UK and good ol' Rome here, @pinball1970 & @Astranut ... :smile:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What have the Romans ever done for us? (inspired by this, of course)

"The amphitheatre?"

1 - Wales 4a - Roman amphitheater, Caerleon.png

The Roman amphitheatre at Caerleon, Wales (ca 74–75 AD/CE), with me standing in the center.

"Well... yes... but it's a bit sloppily built, wouldn't you say?
A good start, but they never quite finished it, did they?""But this entrance to the amphitheatre looks nice..."

2 - Wales 4b - Roman amphitheater, Caerleon.png

One of the entrances to the amphitheatre.

"Are you serious? Clearly crappy handiwork.
Just look at it... it's simply a bunch of stones put together.
There are no AC outlets, no USB ports and most likely no Wifi.
Substandard.""Well... how about this long wall?"

3 - Hadrian's Wall 1-2.png

Hadrian's Wall (begun in 122 AD/CE)

"See? Another good example of what I'm talking about!
Just look at it! They just laid the foundation and didn't even bother with the rest."

"But they even built additional fortifications here..."

5 - Hadrian's Wall 2-2.png

Hadrian's Wall, additional structures

"But it's not finished! How was that supposed to stop the barbarians of the North?
No wonder the Roman empire fell apart."

By the way, look at the change in elevation of the wall here:

4 - Hadrian's Wall 1-1.png

I remember that the countryside here was lovely too.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sidenote: I remember we went to Bath (Somerset) too, partly because there are Roman-built baths there (Aquae Sulis). But for some reason I did not take any photos of them. Maybe my camera was full.

Last edited:
  • Love
Likes morrobay, collinsmark and pinball1970