Rate of change of a right triangle

In summary: for your help. in summary, at a distance of d from the shore, the boat's speed is x and its acceleration is d'.
vande060
Imagine a boat on the water being putted
towards the shore by a winch mounted a height
h above the water. The winch reels in cable
(shortening the hypotenuse) at constant rate
u in m/s . When the boat is a distance d from
the shore, find its speed and acceleration.
This is an example of motion at non-uniform
acceleration.

im letting hypotenuse here = x, so x^2 = d^2 + h^2
Im thinking i want to solve for d' to get the velocity at of d at distance d. okay I am going to give it a shot, but bear with me, i have little confidence in this answer and i understand that reading these next steps will probably be a little frightening for those who know how to solve this.
-------------------------------

x^2 = d^2 + h^2

d^2 = x^2 - h^2

2dd' = 2xx' - 2hh'

d' = [2xx' - 2hh']/(2d) <--- this is what i was thinking to explain the speed of d at distance d . my intuition was the to allow x' be u to explain the constant rate of the shortening of the hypotenuse, but I am not sure about it. i want to differentiate again to find d'' to explain acceleration, but i need to establish the correct way to do this first step before moving on.

can anyone give me a pointer or two.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Whether the height h is variable or constant?

it is fixed, i believe. this is a copy of the illustration in my book:

http://s861.photobucket.com/albums/ab174/alkaline262/?action=view&current=physicstriangle.jpg

vande060 said:
it is fixed, i believe. this is a copy of the illustration in my book:

http://s861.photobucket.com/albums/ab174/alkaline262/?action=view&current=physicstriangle.jpg

In that case the derivative of h is equal to zero. And the equation becomes

2d*d' = 2x*x'

d' = x*x'/d...(1)

d'*d' + d*d" = x'*x'...(2) because x' is constant.

Now proceed.

rl.bhat said:
In that case the derivative of h is equal to zero. And the equation becomes

2d*d' = 2x*x'

d' = x*x'/d...(1)

d'*d' + d*d" = x'*x'...(2) because x' is constant.

Now proceed.

okay, i understand how you got 2, you multiplied both sides by d then differentiated right?

okay so now i just simplify..

(x'*x' - d'*d')/d = d"

x' here represent the constant rate, u m/s, that the hypotenuse is shortening.

Last edited:
Yes.

rl.bhat said:
Yes.

thank you greatly

1. What is the rate of change of a right triangle?

The rate of change of a right triangle is the slope of the hypotenuse, which is also known as the triangle's steepness. It represents how much the triangle's height changes for every unit increase in its base length.

2. How is the rate of change of a right triangle calculated?

The rate of change of a right triangle can be calculated by dividing the change in the triangle's height by the change in its base length. This can also be expressed as the rise over run, or the change in the y-coordinate over the change in the x-coordinate.

3. What does a positive rate of change of a right triangle indicate?

A positive rate of change of a right triangle indicates that the triangle is increasing in height as the base length increases. This means that the triangle is getting steeper as it gets wider.

4. Can the rate of change of a right triangle ever be negative?

Yes, the rate of change of a right triangle can be negative. This occurs when the triangle is decreasing in height as the base length increases. In other words, the triangle is getting less steep as it gets wider.

5. How is the rate of change of a right triangle used in real life applications?

The rate of change of a right triangle is used in many real life applications, such as calculating the slope of a road or the angle of a ramp. It is also used in physics to understand the rate of change of velocity or acceleration in objects moving in a straight line.