Rate of Change in Proportional Equations - Understanding and Practicing the Rule

In summary: But your a'= xa gives da/a= x dx which integrates to ln(a)= (1/2)x^2+ C so that a= Ce^{(1/2)x^2}.In summary, the conversation discusses the process of simplifying the Friedman equation and the concept of a rate of change being proportional to itself. The operation being used is integration and the resulting equations are a = Ce^kx and a = Ce^(1/2)x^2. The lecturer mentions the use of a constant in the equation and the need to practice this operation.
robertjford80

Homework Statement

This actually part of the Friedman equation but it's the math part I'm having trouble with. I'm simplifying down to the nitty-gritty.

a'/a = x

a' = ax

a = e^x

And the lecturer said that when a rate of change is proportional to thing itself then you multiply the thing itself by exp. I don't recall learning about that rule. What is it's name so that I can go back and practice it.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
robertjford80 said:

Homework Statement

This actually part of the Friedman equation but it's the math part I'm having trouble with. I'm simplifying down to the nitty-gritty.

a'/a = x

a' = ax

a = e^x

And the lecturer said that when a rate of change is proportional to thing itself then you multiply the thing itself by exp. I don't recall learning about that rule. What is it's name so that I can go back and practice it.

If ##a## is a function of ##x## so that ##a' =\frac {da}{dx}##, the statement that the rate of change is proportional to itself means ##\frac {da}{dx} = ka##, where ##k## is a constant. That is not the type of equation you have written.

But when you do have ##\frac {da}{dx} = ka##, the solution is ##a = Ce^{kx}## for any constant ##C##, as you can verify by plugging it in.

but what's the name of this operation so that i can go back and look it up and practice it. the lecturer did have a constant written in the equation but I didn't write it for unknown reasons.

The operation being used is integration and I feel sure you have heard of that before!
[tex]a'= \frac{da}{dx}= ax[/tex]
so that, in terms of differentials,
[tex]\frac{da}{a}= xdx[/tex]

Now integrate both sides: [itex]ln(a)= (1/2)x^2+ C[/itex] so that [itex]a= e^{(1/2)x^2+ C}[/itex] or [itex]a(x)= C_1e^{(1/2)x^2}[/itex] where [itex]C_1= e^C[/itex].

That is NOT the result LCKurtz gave because, as he said, the equation he was looking at was not the one you posted. You said "the lecturer said that when a rate of change is proportional to thing itself then you multiply the thing itself by exp." which would be the case with a'= ka, which is what LCKurtz solved, NOT with your a'= xa, which is what I solved.

a'= da/dx= ka becomes da/a= k dx which, integrated, gives ln(a)= kx+ C so that [/itex]a= C'e^{kx}[/itex] as LCKurtz said.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Rate of Change in Proportional Equations - Understanding and Practicing the Rule

1. What is the rule for calculating rate of change in proportional equations?

The rule for calculating rate of change in proportional equations is to divide the change in the dependent variable by the change in the independent variable. This can be expressed as (y2-y1)/(x2-x1) where y2 and y1 are the values of the dependent variable at two different points and x2 and x1 are the corresponding values of the independent variable.

2. How can I identify if a proportional equation is increasing or decreasing?

If the rate of change is positive, then the proportional equation is increasing. If the rate of change is negative, then the proportional equation is decreasing. In other words, if the dependent variable increases as the independent variable increases, the equation is increasing, and if the dependent variable decreases as the independent variable increases, the equation is decreasing.

3. How can I use the rule of rate of change to solve real-life problems?

The rule of rate of change can be used to solve real-life problems by representing the relationship between two variables in a proportional equation and using the rule to find the rate of change. This can help in making predictions and analyzing trends in data.

4. Can the rate of change be negative in proportional equations?

Yes, the rate of change can be negative in proportional equations. This indicates that as the independent variable increases, the dependent variable decreases. In other words, the two variables have an inverse relationship.

5. How does the rate of change affect the graph of a proportional equation?

The rate of change affects the graph of a proportional equation by determining its slope. A higher rate of change results in a steeper slope, while a lower rate of change results in a shallower slope. This can help in visualizing the relationship between the two variables and understanding how they change in relation to each other.