1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rate of change

1. Jun 3, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

This actually part of the Friedman equation but it's the math part I'm having trouble with. I'm simplifying down to the nitty-gritty.

a'/a = x

a' = ax

a = e^x

And the lecturer said that when a rate of change is proportional to thing itself then you multiply the thing itself by exp. I don't recall learning about that rule. What is it's name so that I can go back and practice it.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 3, 2012 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If ##a## is a function of ##x## so that ##a' =\frac {da}{dx}##, the statement that the rate of change is proportional to itself means ##\frac {da}{dx} = ka##, where ##k## is a constant. That is not the type of equation you have written.

But when you do have ##\frac {da}{dx} = ka##, the solution is ##a = Ce^{kx}## for any constant ##C##, as you can verify by plugging it in.

4. Jun 3, 2012 #3
    but what's the name of this operation so that i can go back and look it up and practice it. the lecturer did have a constant written in the equation but I didn't write it for unknown reasons.

5. Jun 3, 2012 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The operation being used is integration and I feel sure you have heard of that before!
    [tex]a'= \frac{da}{dx}= ax[/tex]
    so that, in terms of differentials,
    [tex]\frac{da}{a}= xdx[/tex]

Now integrate both sides: [itex]ln(a)= (1/2)x^2+ C[/itex] so that [itex]a= e^{(1/2)x^2+ C}[/itex] or [itex]a(x)= C_1e^{(1/2)x^2}[/itex] where [itex]C_1= e^C[/itex].

That is NOT the result LCKurtz gave because, as he said, the equation he was looking at was not the one you posted. You said "the lecturer said that when a rate of change is proportional to thing itself then you multiply the thing itself by exp." which would be the case with a'= ka, which is what LCKurtz solved, NOT with your a'= xa, which is what I solved.

a'= da/dx= ka becomes da/a= k dx which, integrated, gives ln(a)= kx+ C so that [/itex]a= C'e^{kx}[/itex] as LCKurtz said.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook