Rate of Current: Solve Homework Equation for US Students

In summary, the canoist rows upstream for 2 miles before passing a log traveling with the current. He then continues to row for one more hour and turns around, reaching his starting point at the same time as the log. The problem involves finding the rate of the current, which can be solved by setting up two equations using the distance and time traveled upstream and downstream, assuming the canoist's speed with respect to the current is constant.
belu00

Homework Statement

A canoist is rowing upstream a river. After 2miles he passes a log (traveling with the current) he continues to row for one more hour and turns around. He reaches his starting point at the same time as the log. What is the rate of the current?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

v1+v2/c
To be honest I don't even know where to begin with this problem. The teacher gave it to us as a joke because he said this was something from his high school book in Russia and hasn't found anyone in the U.S who can solve it.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Draw a picture.

the start point = 0---------------- log position= 2miles ------------- turnaround point

So suppose the current's speed is c.

What is the position of the turnaround point in terms of c?

Where is the log located when the rower reaches the turnaround point?

Assume that the speed v of the canoist (with respect to current) is constant, or the average speed is constant for the different phases of the trip. The current's speed is constant c.

Traveling upstream, the distance traveled is (v-c)*t, and down stream the effective speed is v+c. Knowing the times and distances, one should be able to find two equations to solve to the two unknowns, v and c.

Related to Rate of Current: Solve Homework Equation for US Students

What is the equation for calculating rate of current?

The equation for calculating rate of current is:
I = Q/t

How do I solve for rate of current in a homework problem?

To solve for rate of current, you need to know the charge (Q) and the time (t) in the problem. Use the equation I = Q/t and plug in the given values to find the rate of current.

What units are used to measure rate of current?

The unit for rate of current is amperes (A), which is equivalent to coulombs per second (C/s).

Can you provide an example of a homework problem involving rate of current?

Sure, here's an example: A circuit has a charge of 100 coulombs passing through it in 20 seconds. What is the rate of current in the circuit? Using the equation I = Q/t, we can plug in the given values: I = 100 C / 20 s = 5 A. Therefore, the rate of current in the circuit is 5 amperes.

What is the significance of calculating rate of current in scientific research?

Calculating rate of current is important in understanding the flow of electricity in a circuit. This information is essential in designing and analyzing electrical systems, as well as in studying the behavior of different materials in response to electric current. It also has applications in fields such as electronics, engineering, and physics.