Ratio of net gravitational pull on moon

In summary, the ratio of the net gravitational force on the moon when it is new to when it is full can be found by calculating the gravitational force from the Earth and the sun in each position and then working out the net force. The distance from the sun to the Earth should be measured from their centers.
Metalsonic75
[SOLVED] Ratio of net gravitational pull on moon

A new moon is almost exactly in line between the Earth and the sun. A full moon is on the opposite side of the Earth from the sun. What is the ratio of the net gravitational force on the moon when it is new to when it is full?

I tried calculating the gravitational pull on the moon by the Earth and sun when the moon is in each of the two positions. I used the masses of the three bodies, the radii, and the distances between them, but I was halted in my calculations because I couldn't figure out if the distance given in the textbook between the sun and the Earth was measured from the center of the bodies or not. And anyway, I feel like I'm taking the wrong way around, and that the answer should be something simple. I would really appreciate some help.

Physics news on Phys.org
The value of the distance from the sun to the Earth should be as measured from their centres. Your approach is correct. You need to calculate the gravitational force from the Earth and the Sun in each position then work out the net force. Once you have the net force you can find the ratio of the net forces.

Thanks! I was able to solve the problem!

Related to Ratio of net gravitational pull on moon

1. What is the ratio of the net gravitational pull on the moon compared to Earth?

The ratio of the net gravitational pull on the moon compared to Earth is approximately 1:6. This means that the moon has about one sixth (16.6%) of the gravitational pull of Earth.

2. How is the net gravitational pull on the moon calculated?

The net gravitational pull on the moon is calculated by multiplying the moon's mass by the gravitational constant (G) and dividing by the square of the distance between the moon and Earth.

3. Does the ratio of net gravitational pull on the moon change over time?

Yes, the ratio of net gravitational pull on the moon can change over time due to various factors such as the moon's changing distance from Earth and the influence of other celestial bodies.

4. Why is the net gravitational pull on the moon weaker than Earth's?

The net gravitational pull on the moon is weaker than Earth's because the moon has a smaller mass and diameter compared to Earth. This results in a weaker gravitational force between the moon and other objects.

5. How does the ratio of net gravitational pull on the moon affect its orbit?

The ratio of net gravitational pull on the moon plays a significant role in its orbit around Earth. The weaker gravitational force allows the moon to maintain a stable orbit without being pulled towards Earth, while still being close enough to be influenced by Earth's gravitational pull.