RC Circuit: charges on two capacitors

In summary, an RC circuit is a circuit that contains a resistor and a capacitor. When a voltage is applied to the circuit, the capacitor begins to charge and the voltage across it increases. As the capacitor charges, the voltage across the resistor decreases. In a series RC circuit, the charges on the two capacitors are equal and opposite, while in a parallel RC circuit, the charges are equal and additive. The total charge on the two capacitors is always equal to the initial voltage applied to the circuit.
physics222

Homework Statement

At t=0m the switch is open and both capacitors are uncharged. What are the charges on each plate (magnitude and sign) of each capacitor long after the switch is closed and capacitors are fully charged?

Homework Equations

q=C E(1-e^(-t/RC)

The Attempt at a Solution

I was sick during the weed we did circuits and am pretty lost. I get confused about what is happening conceptually and how to use that to find an answer.

Attachments

• RC circuit.jpg
    RC circuit.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 411
Physics news on Phys.org
You've got capacitors in series and batteries in series. Add the batteries (watch their polarities) then have a look http://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/capacitor/cap_7.html" .

Last edited by a moderator:
This explains things a lot better than my choppy physics notes I managed to get from my classmates. I did the problem and I am feeling a lot more confident about circuits and capacitors in general. I will definitely keep this website in my bookmarks!

1. How does an RC circuit work?

An RC (resistor-capacitor) circuit is a type of electrical circuit that consists of a resistor, a capacitor, and a voltage source. The capacitor stores electrical charge, while the resistor controls the flow of current. When the circuit is connected to a voltage source, the capacitor charges up to the same voltage as the source, but at a slower rate due to the resistor. Once the capacitor is fully charged, no more current flows through the circuit.

2. What is the equation for calculating the charge on a capacitor in an RC circuit?

The equation for calculating the charge on a capacitor in an RC circuit is Q = Q0(1 - e-t/RC), where Q is the charge on the capacitor at a given time, Q0 is the maximum charge the capacitor can hold, t is the time in seconds, R is the resistance in ohms, and C is the capacitance in farads.

3. What happens to the charges on two capacitors in an RC circuit?

In an RC circuit with two capacitors, the charges on both capacitors will be equal at every instant. This means that if one capacitor has a charge of Q at a given time, the other capacitor will also have a charge of Q at that same time. As time passes, the charges on both capacitors will decrease until they reach their maximum charge, determined by the capacitance and voltage of the circuit.

4. How does changing the resistance and capacitance affect an RC circuit?

Changing the resistance in an RC circuit will affect the rate at which the capacitor charges, as a higher resistance will slow down the charging process. On the other hand, changing the capacitance will affect the amount of charge the capacitor can hold, as a higher capacitance will allow for a larger charge. Both of these factors will also affect the time constant, which is the time it takes for the capacitor to reach 63.2% of its maximum charge.

5. What is the time constant in an RC circuit?

The time constant, denoted by the symbol τ (tau), is a measure of the time it takes for the capacitor in an RC circuit to charge up to 63.2% of its maximum charge. It is calculated by multiplying the resistance and capacitance in the circuit (τ = RC). The time constant can be used to determine the behavior of the capacitor in the circuit, such as how quickly it charges and discharges.