How to build an RC circuit for intermittent light bulb?

In summary, Bob was trying to build an RC circuit in series to light a bulb intermitently. He suggests using an electrolytic capacitor to do the job. Alternately, he suggests using a relay. If you are using a 555 to produce a continuous stream of pulses, you need to use the ASTABLE multivibrator configuration of the 555.
jose6914
RC Circuit
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi guys, I am trying to built an RC circuit in series to light a bulb intermitently. That is on and off in a time interval. Any ideas?

Engineering news on Phys.org
You could just put the light bulb in series with an electrolytic capacitor across a power supply.

You will see a flash in the lamp when the capacitor charges or is discharged through the lamp.

Don't discharge it while the power supply is still connected.

I'd try 1000 uF or so.

Instead of using wires to connect my circuit can i use any ionic subtances as a conductor. Or will the resistance be to0 high... I am using a 3 voltz battery.

We used to make relaxation (RC) oscillators with a capacitor, resistor, and a NE-51 neon lamp. Occasionally you will see flashing highway markers at night that use this circuit. This cannot be done with an incandescent lamp, however. It takes about 60 or 70 volts DC minumum to make it work.

Yes, any conductor will work, but to get a good flash, you would need a fairly low resistance path.
I suppose very salty water would be OK.

There are other ways of making a light flash. What are you trying to do?

"There are other ways of making a light flash. What are you trying to do?"

This is for a presentation I am doing to elementary students about electrity...

What other ways do you suggest?

Ok, if it is elementary electricity, you might not want to use any electronics. That would seem like a magic black box.
Electronics would allow you to use tricks like having the flash rate depend on ambient light, though.

You could use a relay.
You get a relay to pull in a set of contacts to remove its own power so it let's go and applies the power again. Just like a buzzer.
If you put a large capacitor across the relay, the action will be slowed down.

You then have another set of contacts on the relay switch the light on and off.
Great for Christmas trees.

just use a very low frequency AC voltage source

The power needed would be pulsing DC.
There should be no voltage, then a suitable DC voltage to run the lamp, then no voltage etc.

There are function generators that can do this, but a simple 555 oscillator would do it for a couple of dollars.
see
http://www.doctronics.co.uk/555.htm
You would need an astable circuit for this since it is a repeating effect.

Last edited by a moderator:
vk6kro said:
see
http://www.doctronics.co.uk/555.htm
You would need an astable circuit for this since it is a repeating effect.
No. Anything with hysteresis will work. The NE-51 (neon bulb) circuit (see my previous post) works because the NE-51 ignites and conducts when the voltage on the parallel capacitor reaches about 55 volts, then when the capacitor voltage drops to about 45 volts, the lamp extinguishes and stops conducting. Then the capacitor charges again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Bob,

IF you are using a 555 to produce a continuous stream of pulses, THEN you need to use the ASTABLE multivibrator configuration of the 555.

This is just to say that you would not use a MONOSTABLE, for instance.

It was nothing to do with neon tubes.

1. What is an RC circuit?

An RC circuit is a combination of a resistor (R) and a capacitor (C) connected in series. This circuit is commonly used to control the flow of electric current and can also be used in filtering, timing, and frequency response circuits.

2. How does an RC circuit work?

In an RC circuit, the capacitor stores electrical charge while the resistor controls the flow of current. When the circuit is first connected, the capacitor charges up and the current decreases over time as the capacitor reaches its maximum charge. As the capacitor discharges, the current increases again until the capacitor is fully discharged.

3. What is the purpose of a light bulb in an RC circuit?

The light bulb is used as a load in the RC circuit, meaning it consumes the electrical energy supplied by the circuit. As the capacitor charges and discharges, the voltage across the light bulb changes, causing it to light up and then dim. This allows us to visualize the changes in current and voltage in the circuit.

4. How does the value of the resistor affect the behavior of the RC circuit?

The resistor value affects the time constant of the circuit, which is the time it takes for the capacitor to charge or discharge to 63.2% of its maximum value. A higher resistor value will result in a longer time constant and slower charging/discharging of the capacitor, while a lower resistor value will result in a shorter time constant and faster changes in the circuit.

5. Can an RC circuit be used to dim lights in a room?

Yes, an RC circuit can be used to dim lights by connecting it in series with the light bulb. By adjusting the values of the resistor and capacitor, the charging and discharging of the capacitor can be controlled to change the brightness of the light bulb. This is commonly used in dimmer switches for lighting control.