• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

RC Circuits charge homework

• Thread starter hokie1020
  • Start date
Strictly speaking, the equation q=Q_0e^{-t/RC} implies that an infinite amount of time is required to discharge a capacitor completely. Yet for practical purposes, a capacitor may be considered to be fully discharged after a finite length of time. To be specific, consider a capacitor with capacitance C connected to a resistor R to be fully discharged if its charge q differs from zero by no more than the charge of one electron.

I could do everything except explaining why Part C's answer is correct
Part A
Calculate the time required to reach this state if C = 0.910 microF, R = 690 kilo ohms, and Q_0 = 6.80 microC.
t=19.7s
Part B
How many time constants is this?
31.4 time constants
Part C
For a given Q_0, is the time required to reach this state always the same number of time constants, independent of the values of C and R?
yes
Part D
Why or why not? (in response to Part C)

Part D is what i cant explain. Can anyone help?

Answers and Replies

dynamicsolo
Homework Helper
If you rearrange the charge equation (which is the solution to the differential equation produced by Kirchkoff's circuit rules) for the situation where the capacitor discharges to q(T) = e (one fundamental charge), we have

e/Q_0 = e^(-T/RC) .

I think what they're saying is this: for any RC circuit with varying choices of R and C, and starting with a fully-charged capacitor, the ratio of this defined discharge time to the circuit time constant is simply related to the ratio of e/Q_0 .
[EDIT: Re-reading the question once again, I agree with their answer; the equation above shows why. Try it with numbers to satisfy yourself -- I had to...]

Last edited: