1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

RC Circuits charge homework

1. Mar 23, 2008 #1
    Strictly speaking, the equation q=Q_0e^{-t/RC} implies that an infinite amount of time is required to discharge a capacitor completely. Yet for practical purposes, a capacitor may be considered to be fully discharged after a finite length of time. To be specific, consider a capacitor with capacitance C connected to a resistor R to be fully discharged if its charge q differs from zero by no more than the charge of one electron.

I could do everything except explaining why Part C's answer is correct
    Part A
    Calculate the time required to reach this state if C = 0.910 microF, R = 690 kilo ohms, and Q_0 = 6.80 microC.
    Part B
    How many time constants is this?
    31.4 time constants
    Part C
    For a given Q_0, is the time required to reach this state always the same number of time constants, independent of the values of C and R?
    Part D
    Why or why not? (in response to Part C)

Part D is what i cant explain. Can anyone help?
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

If you rearrange the charge equation (which is the solution to the differential equation produced by Kirchkoff's circuit rules) for the situation where the capacitor discharges to q(T) = e (one fundamental charge), we have

e/Q_0 = e^(-T/RC) .

I think what they're saying is this: for any RC circuit with varying choices of R and C, and starting with a fully-charged capacitor, the ratio of this defined discharge time to the circuit time constant is simply related to the ratio of e/Q_0 .
    [EDIT: Re-reading the question once again, I agree with their answer; the equation above shows why. Try it with numbers to satisfy yourself -- I had to...]
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?