Reaction forces due to imbalance of a shaft

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
zeralda21
Messages
119
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement



The shaft carries two particles of mass m, and rotates about the z-axis with the constant angular velocity ##\omega##. Determine the x- and y-component of the bearing due to imbalance.
QLfdH8V.jpg


The Attempt at a Solution



Rotation only around the ##z-##axis so ##\omega _{x}=\omega _{y}=0## and ##\boldsymbol{\omega }=\omega \boldsymbol{\hat{k}}##. Since ##\dot{\omega}=0## we have:
##\left\{\begin{matrix}
\sum M_{x}=I_{yz}\omega^2\\ \sum M_{y}=-I_{xz}\omega^2
\\

\end{matrix}\right.##
I have trouble now. Is it correct that for ##M_{y}##, only forces acting perpendicular to y-axis that should be accounted for? We also see that the intersection of points of the ##xz-##plane and the two sphere's are none so that means that ##I_{xz}=0##(Is this even correct??). And ##I_{yz}=\overline{I}_{yz}+md_{y}d_{z}=0+mR\frac{L}{3}-mR\frac{2L}{3}##
 
Physics news on Phys.org
zeralda21 said:

Homework Statement



The shaft carries two particles of mass m, and rotates about the z-axis with the constant angular velocity ##\omega##. Determine the x- and y-component of the bearing due to imbalance.

[IMG ]http://i.imgur.com/QLfdH8V.jpg[/PLAIN]

The Attempt at a Solution



Rotation only around the ##z-##axis so ##\omega _{x}=\omega _{y}=0## and ##\boldsymbol{\omega }=\omega \boldsymbol{\hat{k}}##. Since ##\dot{\omega}=0## we have:
##\left\{\begin{matrix}
\sum M_{x}=I_{yz}\omega^2\\ \sum M_{y}=-I_{xz}\omega^2
\\

\end{matrix}\right.##

I have trouble now. Is it correct that for ##M_{y}##, only forces acting perpendicular to y-axis that should be accounted for? We also see that the intersection of points of the ##xz-##plane and the two sphere's are none so that means that ##I_{xz}=0##(Is this even correct??). And ##I_{yz}=\overline{I}_{yz}+md_{y}d_{z}=0+mR\frac{L}{3}-mR\frac{2L}{3}##
I recommend starting with a Free Body Diagram of the shaft, considering the two particle masses to be external to the shaft.
 
Alright. Did you read my attempt? Would like to know if I am all wrong or somehow correct.

The FBD contains the two particles, each with a gravitational force ##mg## acting in negative ##x##. We have a parallel-plane motion with constant rotation in ##z-##axis, hence the moment equations:

##\left\{\begin{matrix}
\sum M_{x}=I_{yz}\omega^2\\ \sum M_{y}=-I_{xz}\omega^2
\\

\end{matrix}\right.##

For the moment equation about##y-##axis we need to determine ##I_{yz}##.

##I_{yz}=\int yz {\mathrm{d} m}## and from here I don't know how to proceed and establish the integral.

Since I don't know how to set up the integral I could bypass that by using

##I_{yz}=\overline{I}_{yz}+md_{y}d_{z}## for each particle(or is it only for rigid bodies?), hence

##I_{yz}=0+mR\frac{L}{3}## for particle 1 and ##I_{yz}=0+m(-R)\frac{2L}{3}## for the second.
 
Last edited: