Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reading a pressure vs enthalpy graph

1. Apr 18, 2008 #1
    ive got a pressure vs enthalpy graph which is based on the data for refrigerant 141b. If ive got a given pressure, and i want to find the enthalpy at that pressure how do i know where to stop when going along horizontally from a given pressure value?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2008 #2
    Hi there:

If you know you pressure value, by knowing either temperature, entropy or some other physical value, you should be able to locate your state point on the chart.

With two given values, a state point is defined ...

Thanks,

Gordan

4. Apr 18, 2008 #3
    i see, ive got temperature values, but does the state point also depend on whether it is saturation liquid or saturation vapour?

5. Apr 18, 2008 #4
    Hi there:

If you are in the saturated are, in addition to pressure and temperature values, you need to know the degree of saturation. It goes from 0 to 1 (no vapor to all vapor) -- this should define your state point. Just read the other state physical values from your chart.

Thanks,

Gordan

6. Apr 18, 2008 #5
    anony mouse, you need 2 properties to get all the properties from any such property curve. if its outside the saturation region, P and T are independent. But inside, P and T are dependent, so required states change. But in any case, one needs at least 2 properties to define everything

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?