How Do You Calculate Input Signal from Analog Meter Readings?

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem involving determining the input signal for a given pointer position and range setting on a diagram. The solution involves dividing the range by the scales maximum and then multiplying the result by the scale reading. It is recommended to adopt a reading technique to avoid mental arithmetic errors. The conversation also discusses selecting the appropriate range for a given input signal to achieve maximum pointer deflection, with the recommended range being 10V.
KTiaam

Homework Statement

For the pointer position in the diagram, what is the input signal if the range is set at 0.3v?

(i was just wondering if my path to the solution is correct)
(arrow pointing at 1.75)
picture attached

The Attempt at a Solution

Range / scales maximum = #

scale reading / #

so .3/3 = .1
1.75/.1 = .175

is that right?
thank for all the help

Attachments

• Analog meter.JPG
    Analog meter.JPG
    15.6 KB · Views: 477
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
KTiaam said:

Homework Statement

For the pointer position in the diagram, what is the input signal if the range is set at 0.3v?

(arrow pointing at 1.75)
picture attached

scale reading / #

so .3/3 = .1
1.75/.1 = .175

is that right?
thank for all the help

The result is right, but / means division. 1.75/0.1=17.5. You have to multiply the reading with #.

ehild

KTiaam said:

Homework Statement

(arrow pointing at 1.75)
picture attached

scale reading / #

so .3/3 = .1
1.75/.1 = .175

is that right?
thank for all the help
I recommend that you adopt a reading technique which will avoid the need to do that second step of mental arithmetic, because we all know that mental arithmetic is where mistakes are going to be made.

The switch points to 0.3, indicating 0.3 FSD. So that tells you that you will be taking readings off the scale marked 0-3. So in your mind you should now see those scale markings as 0 ... 0.1... 0.2 ... 0.3 and take each reading directly from this "virtual" scale. You will become quite adept at this, with practice.

ok now if the input signal is -0.25 what range should you select to give maximum deflection without going off scale? where would i draw the pointer at?

KTiaam said:
ok now if the input signal is -0.25 what range should you select to give maximum deflection without going off scale? where would i draw the pointer at?
What are your thoughts on this?

NascentOxygen said:
What are your thoughts on this?

I think that 100v range option should be used.
100v / 10 = 10v

? x 10.0 v = -.25v
? =-.25v / 10.v
-.025 is the position on the top scale where i should put my arrow?

I think you mean you would choose the 10 v range.

I'm assuming by -0.25 you are talking of -0.25 volts.

attachment.php?attachmentid=65564&d=1389595619.jpg

Where on the -10 ... 10 scale would -0.25 fall? Not very far from the 0 mark in the centre, really. Closer to the 0 than to the 2, anyway.

NascentOxygen said:
I think you mean you would choose the 10 v range.

I'm assuming by -0.25 you are talking of -0.25 volts.

attachment.php?attachmentid=65564&d=1389595619.jpg

Where on the -10 ... 10 scale would -0.25 fall? Not very far from the 0 mark in the centre, really. Closer to the 0 than to the 2, anyway.

Yes however don't you divide by 10?

so you would get -.025v?

If a voltmeter, as in this example, has scales marked 10 and 3 (obviously FSD), then you can expect there will be a choice of user-selectable switch positions marked (again referring to FSD) such as 0.01V, 0.03V, 0.1V, 0.3V, 1V, 3V, 10V, 30V. As you say, for best reading acuracy the optimum choice is usually that which gives maximum deflection of the pointer.

So which of the switch positions I listed would you say causes maximum pointer deflection for a signal level of 0.25 V?

Last edited:

Related to How Do You Calculate Input Signal from Analog Meter Readings?

1. What is an analog meter?

An analog meter is a device used to measure and display the magnitude of an electrical quantity, such as voltage, current, or resistance, using a needle or pointer on a dial. It is also known as an analog multimeter or voltmeter.

2. How do you read an analog meter?

To read an analog meter, first determine which quantity (voltage, current, or resistance) you are measuring. Then, select the appropriate scale on the meter's dial. Next, connect the meter to the circuit or component you want to measure. Finally, read the value where the needle or pointer intersects the scale on the dial.

3. What are the advantages of using an analog meter?

One advantage of using an analog meter is that it can measure a wide range of values and is less affected by external factors, such as electromagnetic interference. Additionally, it does not require a power source to function, making it portable and easy to use in remote locations.

4. What are the limitations of an analog meter?

Analog meters are limited in their accuracy and precision compared to digital meters. They also require manual interpretation of the measurement, which can lead to human error. Additionally, analog meters are not suitable for measuring rapidly changing values or for use in complex circuits.

5. How do you maintain an analog meter?

To maintain an analog meter, it is important to regularly calibrate and test it for accuracy. Keep the meter clean and free from dust and debris, and store it in a dry and cool place when not in use. It is also important to handle the meter with care and avoid dropping or subjecting it to extreme temperatures or shocks.