1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reading Variable Force Graph

1. Nov 4, 2006 #1
    Behold Halliday's Question and Halliday's answers:

The only force acting on a 2.0 kg body as it moves along the x axis varies as shown in Figure 7-41 (see attatchment). The velocity of the body at x = 0 is 4.0 m/s.

(a) What is the kinetic energy of the body at x = 3.0 m?
    12 J
    (b) At what value of x will the body have a kinetic energy of 8.0 J?
    4.0 m
    (c) What is the maximum kinetic energy attained by the body between x = 0 and x = 5.0 m?
    18 J

I am stumped. I've only tried to figure out (a) and (b), but my method does not give me correct answers. My train of thought was that Delta KE=W=area under curve. So for part (a), I said that area under graph is (triangle-triangle-rectangle) = -4 Nm. Well, gee.
    Maybe since KE is always positive, take the absolute value of various areas! I think that is very poor reasoning, because Delta KE and W can both be negative. And even when I do that, I get 8 Nm, which is still wrong.
    Similar reasoning applied to (b) also gives the incorrect answer, which is comforting.

A hint from the wise gurus perhaps?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2006 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Correct.

The change of KE is equal to the work done on the body. If the work is negative, the kinetic energy will decrease. Final KE - initial KE = W. You know the initial KE, (16 J) you know W,(-4 J) what is the problem?

ehild

4. Nov 5, 2006 #3
    Problem is that I thought initial Kinetic Energy was 4J. Wups!
    Thank you.

5. Nov 11, 2007 #4
    I'm doing the same problem. Does anyone know the answers?
    I got 12J for (a) but I'm lost on (b) and (c)

6. Nov 11, 2007 #5
    Edit: this is what I got after some thought...

(a) 12 J
    (b) x=4
    (c) 28 J

anyone agree?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?