Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Recharging 4 12V batteries in parallel

1. Oct 13, 2008 #1
    I have 4 lead-acid batteries in parallel that I need to recharge. The batteries are Genesis NP7-12FR batteries rated at 12V, 7.0Ah. I need to create a circuit so that when I plug it into a 120VAC wall socket the batteries are charged. I was thinking of using a DC power supply but have no idea what size to use. Any help would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2008 #2
    I would suggest a good 13.8 V (well stabilised) supply possibly with current limit. They would probably charge at something like 2 Amps (guessing really) each initially so that is 8 A x 13.8 V = 110 Watts. Ham radio stores will have lots of 13.8 Volt PSUs used for running radio transceivers. Steering diodes in series with low value resistors (for current monitoring - 0.1 - 0.25 Ohm...measure the voltage across them) in series with each battery would be a better arrangement but may not be very convenient if the batteries are connected as a parallel pack in normal use.. The diodes will drop 0.7 V so you will need 14.4 Volts. The resistors will act as current limiters.

4. Oct 13, 2008 #3

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Welcome to PF uchacker11.

I'm guessing that you have a UPS. If so you might want to consider constant charging.
    From the Genesis spec sheet (http://www.tnrbatteries.com/ennp72.html):

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?