1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Recharging 4 12V batteries in parallel

1. Oct 13, 2008 #1
    I have 4 lead-acid batteries in parallel that I need to recharge. The batteries are Genesis NP7-12FR batteries rated at 12V, 7.0Ah. I need to create a circuit so that when I plug it into a 120VAC wall socket the batteries are charged. I was thinking of using a DC power supply but have no idea what size to use. Any help would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2008 #2
    I would suggest a good 13.8 V (well stabilised) supply possibly with current limit. They would probably charge at something like 2 Amps (guessing really) each initially so that is 8 A x 13.8 V = 110 Watts. Ham radio stores will have lots of 13.8 Volt PSUs used for running radio transceivers. Steering diodes in series with low value resistors (for current monitoring - 0.1 - 0.25 Ohm...measure the voltage across them) in series with each battery would be a better arrangement but may not be very convenient if the batteries are connected as a parallel pack in normal use.. The diodes will drop 0.7 V so you will need 14.4 Volts. The resistors will act as current limiters.

4. Oct 13, 2008 #3

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Welcome to PF uchacker11.

I'm guessing that you have a UPS. If so you might want to consider constant charging.
    From the Genesis spec sheet (http://www.tnrbatteries.com/ennp72.html):

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?