Recommend me an introductory physics textbook that is more theoretical?

• Thread starter zeion
  • Start date
Hi there,

I've started working through Spivak Calculus, and was wondering if there is an introductory physics textbook that is of similar level of difficulty?

I have Physics for Scientists and Engineers by Knight but it's a little slow.

Thanks.

Answers and Replies

robphy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Interesting alternatives to the standard intro texts:

Alonso & Finn,
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0201565188/?tag=pfamazon01-20&tag=pfamazon01-20
According to the review by Peltio the second editions ('revised' edition) has been watered down from the first, as often happens with great textbooks. I have the first edition of Alonso & Finn and I agree it is a very good book. I have not seen the 2nd edition but I would be surprised if it has indeed been watered down as Peltio says, in which case it is probably like all the other books out there.

If you can find a cheap copy of the 1st edition I say buy it, otherwise dont bother with this new edition ('revised' as they call it). I see all the 1st edition copies are hideously expensive, so maybe look elsewhere.

robphy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Possibly interesting reading:
http://www.math.uga.edu/~shifrin/Spivak_physics.pdf [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Matter and Motion by James C. Maxwell. This really is one of the best books available. It is is in public domain (obviously) so you can probably download/view it free somewhere. If you prefer print, Dover sells it for like $10.

Thanks for all the recommendations I will check them out.

radium
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
For electromagnetism, I recommend Edward Purcell.

Ya, Landau and Lifgarbagez is a graduate level book, and even they find it difficult! Definitely not for beginners. If you want a graduate level, or advanced undergrad, book try Goldstein. But that's still a bad idea for a beginner.

robphy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member