Recommendations for book for elementary particle physics

In summary: Jakob SchwichtenbergIn summary, the conversation is about a person starting a PhD program in particle physics and looking for book recommendations to refresh their knowledge on the topic. Some suggestions include "Quarks and Leptons" by Halzen and Martin, "Introduction to Elementary Particle Physics" by Alessandro Bettini, and "Particle Physics" by Martin and Shaw. Other resources mentioned are university lecture notes and an online course on the discovery of the Higgs Boson. Another book recommendation is "Physics from Symmetry" by Jakob Schwichtenberg for theory.
Adoniram
Hello all, I'm going to begin a PhD program in the fall and likely will be doing research in the world of particle physics. I'm a little rusty on the topic though as my undergrad research experience has been astrophysics, and I did not get a chance to take any classes related to the field other than modern physics.

Could anyone recommend a good book to learn some intro level information? I need a good self study book, not a reference book (cough Weber & Arfken cough). Any help is appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Halzen and Martin, "Quarks and Leptons". It's available in PDF several places on the web.

If you are looking for some phenomenology (just a review of particle phenomena with a very superficial introduction to the theory) you could also take a look at: A. Bettini - Introduction to Elementary Particle Physics.

Alessandro Bettini, "Introduction to Elementary Particle Physics" and
Martin, B.R. Shaw, G., "Particle Physics"
are both good and should be at your level

Also, check around the web- quite a few university level introductory courses have lecture notes and slides, exercises and solutions, exams and solutions, and various other material readily available.

And Future Learn is giving an online course from the University of Edinburgh, "The Discovery of the Higgs Boson," that seems like a good introduction to the Standard Model.

Last edited:
Bettini's book is awesome for phenomenology.

If you need a fresh-up regarding theory I would recommend "Physics from Symmetry"

1. What is elementary particle physics?

Elementary particle physics is a branch of physics that studies the fundamental building blocks of matter and the interactions between them. These building blocks, known as elementary particles, are the smallest known particles in the universe and include quarks, leptons, and bosons.

2. Why is it important to study elementary particle physics?

Studying elementary particle physics allows us to gain a deeper understanding of the fundamental laws and principles that govern the universe. It also helps us to develop new technologies, such as particle accelerators, that have practical applications in fields such as medicine and energy.

3. What are some recommended books for learning about elementary particle physics?

Some highly recommended books for learning about elementary particle physics include "Introduction to Elementary Particles" by David Griffiths, "Particle Physics: A Very Short Introduction" by Frank Close, and "The Quantum Universe" by Brian Cox and Jeff Forshaw.

4. Is a background in physics necessary to understand books on elementary particle physics?

While a background in physics can be helpful, many books on elementary particle physics are written for a general audience and do not require extensive knowledge of physics. However, a basic understanding of concepts such as energy, mass, and forces is recommended.

5. Are there any online resources for learning about elementary particle physics?

Yes, there are many online resources available for learning about elementary particle physics, including websites such as CERN, Fermilab, and the Particle Adventure. There are also online courses and lectures available through platforms like Coursera and edX.