Recommendations for good Industrial Engineering books

In summary, someone has recommended a book to M. about how to learn about engineering projects and be involved in construction. The book they recommend is Machinery's Handbook. M. should buy the book and learn about the engineering projects involved in construction.
DumKaffa
Hi I'm a mechanical engineering that just started my first job. I have learned (to my dismay) that the majority of courses I did at school are very theoretical and completely useless in industry and so I'm basically learning to do my job from scratch. I'm currently involved in the construction of a new cement plant and this involves installation of huge machines using precision equipment. This is all very new too me and so I feel lost most of the time at work.

Someone please recommend a book that has detailed explanations on the procedures and tools used for installation of mechanical equipment as well as any other usefully information about engineering projects that can help me find my feet.

Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
A good starting point are the courses you took ... You say it is theoretical but now it is time to put the theory in practice. Any book you read will have some references to the theory you studied. As you are involved in construction you have a good starting point. Don't expect to find a book to solve your project, use the info to do the project

grtz
M.

First things first: explain in much greater detail what it is that you are expected to do. Your description does not have enough detail. Heavy equipment? Structures? Equipment rigging & moving? Motors, couplings, and shafts? Piping? Bearing replacement?

I had a short time working in a chemical plant and was impressed that my ME training was almost worthless. What WOULD HAVE BEEN useful was an apprenticeship in MILLWRIGHT skills for setting & aligning motors / couplings / pumps / shafts, leveling equipment, and so on. I made friends with the senior Millwrights and they let me look over their shoulder and I learned a lot.

If this is the case for you, then here are some suggestions:

Machinery's Handbook (get the larger size version)
There were once a series of books by "Audel" called "Audel's Handbooks" (I think) that were for millwright skills. Maybe they still exist on the market today for purchase, or can get them from the library. They showed the "how to" of a lot of these topics.
A search of Amazon would probably turn up quite a number of excellent texts and handbooks on the subjects you need to learn about. Spend the money.

1. What are the top recommended Industrial Engineering books for beginners?

Some of the top recommended books for beginners in Industrial Engineering are "Introduction to Industrial Engineering" by Avraham Shtub and Shimon Nof, "Operations Management" by Jay Heizer and Barry Render, and "Facilities Planning" by James A. Tompkins, John A. White, Yavuz A. Bozer, and J. M. A. Tanchoco.

2. Are there any specific books that focus on specific aspects of Industrial Engineering?

Yes, there are several books that focus on specific aspects of Industrial Engineering such as "Quality Control and Industrial Statistics" by Acheson J. Duncan, "Supply Chain Management: Strategy, Planning, and Operation" by Sunil Chopra and Peter Meindl, and "Human Factors in Engineering and Design" by Mark S. Sanders and Ernest J. McCormick.

3. Are there any recommended books for advanced readers in Industrial Engineering?

Some of the recommended books for advanced readers in Industrial Engineering are "Engineering Economy" by William G. Sullivan, Elin M. Wicks, and C. Patrick Koelling, "Product Design for Manufacture and Assembly" by Geoffrey Boothroyd, Peter Dewhurst, and Winston Knight, and "Industrial Engineering and Management Science" by Elsayed A. Elsayed.

4. Can you recommend any books that provide practical applications of Industrial Engineering?

Yes, there are several books that provide practical applications of Industrial Engineering such as "Lean Production Simplified" by Pascal Dennis, "Industrial Engineering in Apparel Production" by P. Subramanian, and "Human Factors for Engineers" by John M. Hess and Christine Bakerjian.

5. Are there any books that focus specifically on Industrial Engineering in different industries?

Yes, there are books that focus on Industrial Engineering in specific industries such as "Industrial Engineering in the Big Data Era" by Ching-Hsin Chen and Hsiao-Fan Wang, "Lean Six Sigma for Engineers and Managers" by Matthew J. Maio, and "Industrial Engineering in Apparel Production" by P. Subramanian.